Should I lose weight before breast implant removal? Is it still covered by OHIP in Ontario? (Photo)

I decided to get saline breast implants 11 years ago. After college I gained 50 lbs. I am currently 30 years old. The weight gain did NOT give me a flabby appearance (some people get flabby skin after weight gain). My breasts have sagged a bit these past 11 years. I want the implants removed because my back & neck hurt. BOTTOM LINE: I got breast implants, then gained weight. For implant removal, should I drop the 50 lbs before the surgery or after? Will it affect sagging? is it OHIP covered?

Removing breast implants should weight until your weight is stable

Implant removal is a covered service by OHIP.  Any changes to the cosmesis of the breast is not, such as a breast lift.  I would say that if you lose weight that your breasts may change and get smaller.  Probably best to get to a stable weight first as it may affect your decision about implant removal or the need for a breast lift. It is possible that your breasts get smaller with weight loss and then you may wish to keep the implants and just have a lift to improve the shape.Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville.  He is the Director of the Cosmetic Surgery Training Program and an Assistant Clinical Professor at McMaster University.  He strives to provide the best possible plastic surgery results and excellent care to patients from GTA including Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Georgetown, Milton, Burlington and Hamilton. 

Breast implant removal - planning the surgery

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.
  • If you can lose the weight first, then you should do so.
  • Whether or not you lose weight, you will need a breast lift when the implants are removed or your breasts willl be quite saggy.
  • You will need to contact OHIP to find out if it will cover your surgery.
  • In the USA, this would be considered self-pay cosmetic surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC