Afraid of being put under?

I have never even had an IV before I am sure this is a common fear ..... Surgery is next Monday. I know my PS gives patients something to take before to calm them, my fear is not waking up .... Lol I know it's psychological

Fear of anesthesia

You are not alone in being fearful of anesthesia and the whole process. I can reassure you that general anesthesia is by far the safest that it has ever been. You will be in good  hands. Best wishes,

Jitters before surgery

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!  The concerns you have are very common.  Remember that you will have an entire TEAM of medical professionals who all have the number one priority of your safety.  They each are specially trained to know how to keep you safe during the procedure and what to do if something arises.  Anesthesia today is very safe and your anesthesiologist will meet with you prior to your surgery.  You may ask any questions and voice your concerns.  In no time at all you'll be waking up and saying "It's done already?"

Camille Cash, MD

Anesthesia fear

I tell my patient's, when they are young and healthy, not to worry about anesthesia.  In the same way that they don't worry before getting in the car on the highway.  You don't worry about getting into a car accident when you're getting into your car, do you?  Same thing.  The risks are so exceedingly low with modern anesthesia, that really is not worth worrying about or losing any sleep.Best of luck! Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia fear

Thank you for your question.This is completely normal to feel before your surgery. Fear, anxiety, nerves.. they all start to kick in. You chose your surgeon because you obviously feel comfortable with them and trust them, that is how they feel about their anesthesiologist. General anesthesia is actually quite safe and the anesthesiologist monitors you continuously while you are under and if any complications arise they can adjust your medications, breathing, temperature, fluids and blood pressure as needed. Try to relax and think positive! I hope this helps.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Afraid of being put under?

Anxiety prior to surgery is very normal; its complete elimination is usually not possible. Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, other important "variables" such as anesthesia provider and surgery facility will be selected based on everyone's first priority: safety. This careful selection should give you some peace of mind that you will be safe around the time of surgery. Discuss your specific areas of concerns with your plastic surgeon who will be in the best position to help you calm your nerves.  

I ask my patients to try to be as calm as possible prior to surgery; this “calmness" tends to translate to a smoother postoperative course. You may be able to alleviate some pre operative anxiety with music, exercise, meditation, a glass of wine (if ok with your surgeon), and positive/objective focus on the long term outcome/benefits etc. prior to your procedure. Generally, patients find that they did “get worked up for nothing” after their recovery is completed. I hope this helps.