I had a TT, on August 30. How long does a person have to this on?

That went horrible.I have an open wound about 42 centimeters.Now I have a wound vac.How long does a person have to this on??

Wound after TT

Hi and thanks for the question. I'm sorry to hear about your complication. Based on the size of your wound you can plan on having a wound for several weeks to months. Best of Luck - Dr Hardy...

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

2 months post op

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (2 months post-po) the swelling is present.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Wound Vac After Tummy Tuck

There is no specific timeframe for a wound vac anywhere on the body. Wound vac duration depends on how well the healing is coming along. If you are not doing so already, make sure you are eating healthily and have enough zinc and vitamin c to help facilitate wound healing. Always check in with your plastic surgeon as instructed. Best of luck.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Wound concern after tummy tuck

Sorry for your struggles, unfortunately only in an person exam could we advise.  A Wound VAC is trying to accelerate your wound healing process, remember that when it gets in the way of your life.  Please ask your surgeon for a timetable and best of luck.  

DrDerby

Thank you for your question. There is no standard time for VAC to be used. Keep close contact with your surgeon to see what he/she recommends you. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Wound vac

Sorry to hear about your complication.  There is no standard time that a VAC dressing must be applied.  Your surgeon will likely assess your wound on a regular basis, and discontinue this dressing when they feel it is no longer of benefit.

Sorry for your complication after a TT. Wound Vac is used until the wound is almost closed. Could be a few months? No posted photos?

Abdominal wall and vac device...

I am sorry to about the complication you have experienced. Generally, these types of wounds, probably quite large given the necessity of the vac device,  take several weeks (possibly up to 1 to 2 months), to heal completely. Fortunately the vac device can be very helpful when it comes to minimizing the need for frequent dressing changes and controlling drainage etc. Unfortunately, the healing  itself is very slow process that will try your patience.

My best suggestion: occupy your mind/time with  people and activities that you enjoy. Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon on a frequent basis. Best wishes.

Open Wound 2 Months Post-Op

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Now, if you find that your wound is open and the scars are not healing and settling it would be best to visit your surgeon right away to have the area examined. In person you will receive the best advice specific to your case and whether or not there is an infection or other issue that may require medical assistance. Good luck!

Takes time

Sorry to hear about your complication.

A wound 42 cm will take time to heal.  Photos will allow a better idea as it depends on height and the width of the wound.