Would removing my breasts and replacing them with fake breasts make fibroadenomas stop coming back?

My fibroadenomas have been removed twice because they got so large. They are coming back after a second surgery.

Breast Tissue Removal

Good morning and thank you for your question. It is very likely that doing what you're suggesting would resolve a lot of your recurrent issues with your breasts. However, depending on the reconstruction route you decide to take, it can involve a long process with long healing time. Also, you will no longer have breast sensitivity to the touch. If neither of those things are of concern to you, than you should consider seeing a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Best of luck to you!

Having bilateral prophylactic mastectomies and reconstruction with either breast implants or your own tissue, probably would prevent a recurrence of your fibroadenomas.  However, this is a significant surgery and can carry significant risks.  Before making such a decision, you should discuss all your options with your primary physician and your surgeon.  Ask to see pre and post op photos of patients who have had prophylactic mastectomies and reconstruction.  Once you have done this you should be able to make an informed decision if this procedure is right for you.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Prophylactic mastectomies could be done

and you could have reconstructions with implants or your own tummy tissue if you prefer the best results.  Your insurance will likely cover this as well if your problem you describe will sentence you to a lifelong history of repeated biopsies.  BUT reconstructed breasts are never as good as the real thing and implants bring recurring problems that require more surgery in the future.  So you must be absolutely certain you want to go down this road because there is no turning back.  Talk to your surgeon treating you for the fibroadenomas to get started or a plastic surgeon on your insurance panel.

Curtis Wong, MD