Would I need injectable dermal filler to get rid of these laugh lines and tear troughs that look like long, deep scars? (Photos)

I have had these lines that run from the corners of my tear ducts to the end of my cheek bones since I was about 15. They have gradually gotten worse since then, now I'm 18, soon to be 19. These lines that run across my cheekbones look like deep scars and make me look very scary and ugly, and affects me socially. The same goes for my laugh lines that also look like scars. An also the lines on the left side of my face seem deeper and more prominent on the left side of my face than the other.

Fillers for mid-face and tear troughs

You could consider a filler such as Restylane to augment and smooth these areas.  I prefer to inject most areas with a cannula rather than a needle to give the smoothest results and the safest outcome.  I would recommend that you start by seeing an experienced cosmetic dermatologist for in-person evaluation.

Best regards,

Dr. Ort

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers

Hi there, you can minimize these lines and hollowness with injectable fillers. The one I usually use for this is Voluma, it lasts up to 2 years. From your pictures you would probably need 1ml per side. The results of this procedure are instant. It is also normal for one side of your face to be more hollow than the other. That has to do with which side you sleep on. Most of us are also born with some sort of assymmetry right from the start, but it, as well as facial hollowness gets more pronounced as we age.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Fillers for Tear Troughs & Smile Lines

Dear jpasion:

Looking at your photos, I would recommend fillers namely Teosyal Redensity II for your tear troughs and Juvederm Volift for your smile lines.  Theses fillers will soften up the lines and give you a refreshed look.  Hope this information helps.  All the best.

Fillers

What I can tell from the pictures is that you have a pronounced tear trough (area below the eyes that appears dark), and some volume loss in your mid cheek.  You are very young for these changes, but they are genetic and depend on your bone formation as well.  Dermall fillers would be a great treatment option for you, both into your midcheek to support your eyes, and into the tear trough.  By doing filler into your cheeks, your "laugh lines" would also improve because cheek fillers help to augment the lower face and improve wrinkles there as well.

Roni Munk, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Tear troughs

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for facial rejuvenation with hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers. In particular, I think you would benefit from some filler placed in your tear troughs, so as to produce a more rested look. I tend to favor Restylane in this area, as it attracts less water than some other fillers, yet it is hearty enough to provide lasting results. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht. 

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon