How do I know if I'm a good candidate for a Revision Rhinoplasty? Should I go with the same surgeon? Is it more risky? (photos)

I had my primary rhinoplasty 7 months ago I had a hook in my nose as well as a bulbous& droopy tip& thick skin but narrow nasal bones.I wanted a smaller straight nose w/ a refined tip I trusted my Dr. b/c he wanted to maintain natural results &was honest w/ me & said my nose wouldn't be perfect. He did not need to break the bones during my procedure. when I had more swelling a month ago it looked straighter now it's not as straight& looks too much like my original nose what can I do??

Doctor Answers 5

Revision rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would wait a bit longer for all the swelling to subside especially from the tip. After that a revision is reasonable and should not be too complicated. You need to have the cartilagenous dorsum lowered thereby allowing for a better definition of the tip.To give you a slight supra-tip dip. The tip itself may or may not need further thinning depending on the final assessment. Discuss with your originasl PS. It is alwasy best top start there.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Creating additional tip definition after rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It does seem like there is room to create a more defined, pleasing tip through reduction of the distal dorsum and augmentation/support of the tip itself.. Allow a full year for healing before having additional surgery.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 230 reviews

Revision Rhinoplasty Timing and Surgeon Choice

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the questions and your pictures. I agree that there is room for improvement in the tip region. It seems a bit bulbous still and perhaps slightly crooked. That said, it is advisable to wait for all of the swelling and settling to occur before intervening.  This generally means a year post-op, though in some cases it can be closer to 9 months. In addition, some fullness and swelling can be addressed with non-surgical treatment such as steroid injections and massage. In terms of doctor choice, it's really about trust and confidence. If you like your surgeon and you are on the same page with what needs to be done, stick with him. While you're waiting, though, I recommend seeing a couple of other consults with board certified nose surgery specialists in our area. I'm happy to help.

How do I know if I'm a good candidate for a Revision Rhinoplasty? Should I go with the same surgeon? Is it more risky?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
    You would have to wait the full year before pursuing a revision, but there may be room for improvement at that time with a revision.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Los Angeles, CA

Revision rhinoplasty candidate for drooping, bulbous tip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The photographs show a dorsal convexity along the lower half of the bridge line which could represent thick skin or residual cartilage. It's important to wait at least one year before  undergoing a revision rhinoplasty, so that all the swelling has subsided. Cortisone shots in the supra tip  area of the nose may be of some benefit if the skin is quite swollen at this point. For many examples of bulbous tip repair and hump removal, please see the link below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.