Can coolsculpting procedure cause Ventral Hernias?

I had the coolsculpting procedure done 2 months ago and i am still in pane in upper abdomen and it bulged. It hurts even more after light work out. Please advise. Thank you for your answer.

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. Coolsculpting can unmask hernias because it reduces the subcutaneous fat.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Ventral Hernia after the Coolsculpting procedure.

Thank you for your question. I am assuming that your physician examined you thoroughly before performing the coolsculpting procedure. Coolsculpting is meant for treating the fat above the muscle what is known as subcutaneous fat. Coolsculpting is not known to cause any hernia but if excessive fat is present in the area of treatment which can certainly obscure the diagnosis of preexisting hernia. Speak with your physician provider regarding these symptoms and get evaluated. Best wishes.

Ventral Hernia: Coolsculpting--See An Expert

Coolsculpting does not cause hernias but may unmask a hernia that was not clinically apparent before the procedure.  Please see an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer