Chin augmentation - implant or fat? (Photos)

Im 26 years old and always wanted to get chin augmentation. Would you recommend fat grafting or implant? Also, to get a more enhanced jawline - would you recommend a chin lipsuction?

Chin augmentation - implant or fat?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your chin is weak as are the posterior (back) portions of the jaw line. A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Dermal fillers can augment the posterior jaw line creating a balance while still maintaining a feminine facial shape overall. I do want to mention that your cheeks are quire flat anteriorly (in the front). Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

Fat transfer, despite it's current popularity, is far less reliable at creating the desired contour than an off the shelf dermal filler or cheek implants and for that reason, I do not use fat for Chin or Cheek Augmentation.

Hope this helps.

Chin Implant and Neck Fat Removal (Liposuction, Lipectomy)

You are a very good candidate for chin implant.  A weakly projected chin is a bony deficiency, not a soft tissue deficiency, so you would want to use an implant (which "pretends" to be bone) not fat.  Ideally, you would bring your chin forward about as far forward as you lower lip is, but this is not realistic in your case.  It is important when doing a chin implant to consider the sub-labial sulcus (the dip between your chin and lower lip).  At present, you don't have much of one, which is a good thing because a chin implant will create one.  A sulcus is not a bad thing unless it is too deep.  Part of selecting an implant size and shape is to make certain that the sulcus is not too deep..  

As far as removing fat from your neck.  Certainly this will probably help.  Without an exam, I can't say for sure how much fat is available for removal.  I would speculate that you can lift the angle of your neck about 1/4 inch which would be a real change and very much add to the chin implant result.

Both a chin implant and neck fat can be removed through a small incision under you chin.  A chin implant only can be done either through your mouth or from under the chin.  As I perform the surgery, my "under the chin" incision is about 1/4 inch long and in a left-right orientation.  It hides very well.  I prefer silastic implants as they have many decades of proven safety and can be placed through a very small incision.

Best Regards,
Dr. A
Austin, TX

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin and Jawline Enhancement

Fat would be a very poor treatment choice for a chin and jaw deficiency as significant as yours. Ideally you should have a sliding genioplasty over an implant given your young age and degree of chin deficiency. Liposuction will never make a defined jawline as there is a bone deficiency. Your jaw angles are very high and only small vertical lengthening jaw angle implants (with little width) can create the jawline effect you seek.

Fat Injections or Implant for Chin Augmentation

I would recommend an implant for a patient like you with significant lack of chin projection to achieve adequate definition. I doubt liposuction will be necessary but this would be decided after hands on examination.

Chin implant candidate

Fat grafting does not work  very well for the chin, so a chin implant is the best solution. Chin implants  are performed when there is a  bony deficiency, while fat grafting is performed for soft tissue deficiencies. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes  and are manufactured out of Silastic. The implants them selves are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  If the teeth are significantly out of alignment, a sliding genioplasty may be another option. For more information and many examples of chin implants, please see the link and the video below.

Chin augmentation.

There is no debate in my mind about a silastic chin implant as being the absolute best choice. Your chin apears receding because of bony deficiency and a more solid material would look and feel more natural. Chin liposuction is not likely needed, but if it is it would be adding a few minutes and little additional cost to the procedure. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon