I had a tummy tuck 9 years ago. My scar did not fade much. Besides redoing it, how can I fade the scar? (photo)

I have heard of silicone sheets or gel but can this only be done shortly after surgery when scars are fresh? Is later treatment an option? While I'm at it.. You can see I have lots of stretch marks, can anything help fade them.. Not sure why nothing is fading after so many years! I breast fed for a the first 6-7 months so I understood hormones were keeping the scars from fading but this is 9 years later :/ thoughts?

Scar 9 years later

Thank you for your questions and photo.  After reviewing your photo I would recommend laser resurfacing for both your scar and stretch marks.  The darkness of the tummy tuck scar can also be treated with laser or bleaching creams like hydroquinone.  The laser with resurface both the scar and stretch mark and help them blend more into the surrounding skin.  It is reasonable to expect a 50-70% improvement in the areas treated.  It typically takes 4-6 sessions to get the full results. Nothing offers permanent removal of stretch marks or scars. Best Wishes!

Tucson Plastic Surgeon

How to help fade scar after a TT

Thank you for your question. It is not unusual to have hyper pigmented scars. Bleaching creams, fraxel scar treatments can improve the color and texture in scars (even 9 years later).
Hope this helps. Dr. Newall

German Newall, MD

I had a tummy tuck 9 years ago. My scar did not fade much. Besides redoing it, how can I fade the scar?

Thank you for sharing your picture and question.  Unfortunately after 9 years your scar will not fade further without intervention and I would start with a bleaching cream such as hydroquinone to see if you get a steady improvement in appearance.  Your stretch marks will not be affected, however, as the only way to "treat" stretch marks is through surgical excision.  See a board certified plastic surgeon to obtain greater details.  

9 yr old TT scars not fading

Stretch marks: i wish I had a good answer! TT scar: Scars are typically a different colour from the surrounding skin for 2 reasons. either they have an increased blood supply in which case they are pink or red or they have excess skin pigment i.e. melanin in which case they are brown. Early scars tend to have an increased blood supply and are pink or red. As the scar matures this fades to pale. In most patients this will happen over 6-12 months although it can take years in some cases, this is unusual. Excess pigment in scars may be due to inflammation or infection following surgery alternatively some people just make pigmented scars.I would need to examine you but I think based on your photo that your scar is probably brown / pigmented. Silicone gel will make no difference. I suspect if you re-operate you will get a similar scar. However, if the healing first time round was slow or you had an infection then it is possible that you would make a better scar following revision. On balance I would tend to leave the scar alone.Of course you are advised to see a suitably qualified and experienced plastic surgeon.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon