Is it fractured? Lump on nose. (photo)

I have a lump on my nose and there is a Crack right above it. I woke up to bruising around it today. Is it possible for me to fracture my nose in my sleep? There is minor pain.

Is it fractured? Lump on the nose

It takes a lot of force to break the nose, so it's doubtful that I could get broken while sleeping. The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down in order to remove it. Anytime there's been trauma to the nose, it's always best to seek out an ENT/facial plastic surgeon to document the extent of the fracture and trauma. A  formal rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish anything down the dorsal hump and straightening the bridge line.

Hard to fracture your nose in your sleep

While it's probably not impossible to fracture your nose in your sleep, it's pretty improbable. However, if the pain and swelling doesn't subside on it's own then schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to have it assessed in person.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Fractured my nose in my sleep.

It seems very unlikely that you fractured you nose while sleeping. The amount of force necessary certainly would get your attention and be memorable. You are always encouraged though to have a plastic surgeon take a look if you feel somehow your nose has been injured.

Nasal Fracture

It is possible to fracture your nose while asleep but unlikely.The real issue even if there was a fracture is weather there was significant movement of your nasal bones. If your nasal bones are not displaced nothing would be done ,if the nasal bones are displaced after the swelling resolves they would be re positioned.

Broken Nose?

While it is highly unlikely that you broke your nose in your sleep, especially to a degree where the bones are moved and can change the shape of your nose, if you are concerned, you are always welcome to have an examination by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.  They will evaluate the stability of your nose, examine the inside, and make further recommendations.

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL