What would be the best procedure for a weak jawline?

Hi! I'm 25 years old and extremely self conscious when it comes to my profile. It looks as though I do not have a jaw and that my neck begins at my chin. I am wondering what procedure you would recommend looking into to fix this? I have been researching chin implants, fillers, etc. but I am not sure what I should be looking for. Thanks so much!

Jawline neck chin relationships

Mahalo for your photos.  It appears you have a slightly recessed chin point with a low hyoid bone position that contributes to a weak jawline.  You would be a candidate for several options to improve what you describe as a weak jawline.  Proper evaluation of cephalometrics are needed beyond your profile photos to delineate the best recommendations.  Best to consult with a qualified plastic or oral maxillofacial surgeon to weigh the various choices for treatment available to you.

Best procedure for a weak jawline?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

chin implant and neck liposuction

From the limited photographs, it appears that there is a weak and recessive chin profile for which a small chin implant can improve.  Fatty  deposits in the neck can be removed with liposuction.  A platysma plasty is performed when there is fat  deposit removal required underneath the platysma muscle.  For more information and many examples, placing the link and the video below 

Dear Jms1212,

Thanks for your question.  You appear to be a good candidate for a chin implant and possibly liposuction of the neck to define your jawline.  I feel this would be the best combination of procedures for you and the result is permanent.  

You could get fillers to make your chin slightly more prominent and the angle of your jaw more defined.  However, these procedures are not as effective as implants and are not permanent.  There are injections that can reduce fat in the neck (Kybella) and coolsculpting can also be done in this area.  While these treatments can be effective, liposuction is the most direct approach to remove fat in the neck and likely the best treatment for you.

Shim Ching, MD

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.