Where should incisions be to Explant?

when implants are put in they make the incision slightly below Breast crease since the weight drags them down..but when explanting if they use that scar will it be visible afterwards?... Should the incision be higher to compensate for weight loss of silicone implants?...

Explant

Use the same scar. It makes more sense. It is already there. 

"when implants are put in they make the incision slightly below Breast crease"
No, this isn't where the incision goes. Still, it makes no sense to put another scar on the breast so that you have 2 scars instead of one.

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

What is the incision to use for revision surgery

Thank you for your question.  In general, most surgeons would agree that using the same incision makes the most sense rather than creating another scar in another part of the breast.  Typically for revision surgery, either the inframammary or periarolar incision is used.  If the primary augmentation was through an axillary (armit) approach, many surgeons will elect to convert the scar to one of the other two incisions as these allow for better exposure and control with revisions. 

Breast explant question

Thank you for your question in general we would place the incision in the same scar. This is best for blood supply as well as access. Putting new scars might compromise this.There is a scar protocol that I use for my patients. This involves using silicone sheets after several weeks,massage with bio oil , and sun avoidance. Please discuss with your plastic surgeon regarding how he or she manages scars. Hope this helps and good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Which Incision for explant

Usually we would place the incision back where the first incision was originally so as to not add another incision. If you're only removing the implant, then the access is adequate from any incision. If one is trying to do a complete capsule removal, in my opinion, it's actually easier to do from the peri-areolar incision. If, however, there's already a crease incision, and I would tend to use that. Hope this is helpful.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Explant

Hello and thank you for your question. The same approach used to place the implants is  used to explant or remove the implants when required. Since a scar/incision has already been made here, it is best to use that one rather than a new one above or below it. The scar should heal just fine in the breast crease location and be very well hidden.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Where should incisions be to Explant?

Hello! Thank you for your question. The inframammary approach is often preferred as it will give best visualization and opportunity to do the optimal work necessary. Since you have this incision, it would be ideal to use the same one. It should heal well and likely concealed within the breast crease... Usually inconspicuous. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast implant removal

Usually surgeons will re-make the same incision for implant removal and if the old scar is unsightly it is an excellent opportunity to revise it.  The scar from your explantation should heal very well.

Explant incision

I usually use the same site for the explant.  There is no reason to make another incision elsewhere.  If you healed well the first time they should heal fine the second time around. 

Scars for explant

I like to use the inframammary approach. if that's where the prior surgery was done, I use the same scar almost always. Why add additional scars unless absolutely necessary?

What incisions should be used for breast explantation?

It really depends what you want to accomplish. Most of the time when breast implants are removed, the patient needs a breast lift because the breast skin and breast tissue have become very stretched and saggy over time. A breast lift typically needs the usual "Wise" pattern or lollipop with an anchor incision. As far as the level of the prior inframammary crease incision, this is usually incorporated within the aforementioned Wise pattern incision. I wish you the best.