Breast augmentation and nicotine replacement patches?

I am stopping smoking before my breast augmentation but using nicotine patches. Is this not the way to go following threads posted here??!!

Smoking and Surgery

Thank you for your question. Nicotine is one of the components of cigarette smoking that will negatively affect your outcome. Nicotine constricts your blood vessels and decreases circulation so healing can be delayed, risk of infection and scarring increases. Also, a smoker’s compromised immune system leads to a rate of post-operative wound infection that is six times higher than non-smokers. I advise patients refrain from smoking and nicotine products at least 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery.

All the best

Nicotine cessastion

Thank you for your question.   In our practice we advise our patients to cease smoking and the use of any nicotine products for at least 2 weeks prior to surgery and to continue to avoid smoking or any nicotine products for a minimum of 4 weeks after surgery.  Nicotine use increases every risk of surgery including bleeding, bruising, infection and scar formation.

With kind regards,

Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Breast Augmentation & nicotine patches.

I have my patients refrain from all nicotine 3 weeks prior and post surgery. Nicotine constricts the blood vessels and can interfere with the healing process. Speak with your surgeon for his/her guidelines and restrictions. Best of luck!

Breast Augmentation and Nicotine Patches

You should discuss this with your surgeon. For my patients, I do not want them to have any form of nicotine.  Nicotine causes blood vessels to constrict and then blood clots can form affecting blood flow. When there is a reduction in blood flow to the tissues, the cells may die causing what is known as necrosis. Nicotine also interferes with the delivery of important nutrients that aid in healing. I understand that it is very difficult to stop smoking as nicotine is very addictive. For some of my patients, I have prescribed Chantix with good results. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD