Will a tummy tuck help me? (photos)

I'm 5'2", 127lbs — after my last pregnancy, my figure suffered. I have one umbilical hernia and a another small one that's started to form. I get back pains and while spanx help the appearance, I need long term results. Work outs don't really help to bring my muscles back together — by my own assessment, I have a 3-finger diastasis... I'm looking to repair the hernias, the diastasis, and get a flatter/smoother look. Will a tummy tuck kill 3 birds with one stone?

Hernias and tummy tuck/abdominoplasty

Thank you for your question. I do this all the time. I arrange to have a general surgeon present to take care of the umbilical hernia and I can do the abdominoplasty at the same time. It all goes well. You should seek the opinion of a boarded plastic surgeon with a lot of experience in this surgery. Best of luck.
Leland Deane MD FACSBabylon NYManhattan, NYGarden City NY

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck advices:

Thanks for the question. In this regard, I recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and weist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour. Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).Kind regards,DR. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy Tuck/Hernia Repair

Yes, abdominoplasty will be of benefit to you. All 3 issues can be addressed simultaneously during the same surgical procedure. The umbilical hernia repairs can be accomplished when the diastasis is corrected. Your board certified plastic surgeon will guide you during the perioperative period and ensure that your BMI is appropriate and you are a healthy surgical candidate. Thank you for your great question and best of luck!

Christina Y. Ahn, MD

Tummy tuck and hernia repair

Love that you did your homework and you know about diastasis and have measured it ! Yes you are right, tummy tuck with hernia repair will solve the problems and give you a flat/smooth look. Please see board certified surgeons to get in person consultation. Most plastic surgeons work together with a general surgeon who will fix the hernia at the same time as the tummy tuck and likely the hernia repair will be covered by your insurance.Good luck !

Shwetambara Parakh, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

You can address the hernias (we usually have a general surgeon) at the same time as a tummy tuck.An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Tummy Tuck with repair of hernia/diastasis recti

Thank you for your question. You appear to be a great candidate for a full tummy tuck which will repair the diastasis recti and umbilical hernia at the same time. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and individualized results. Best of luck. 

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate

Based on your photos, you are an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery.  You should be able to achieve all 3 of your objectives during this procedure.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person exam to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Tummy tuck and hernia repair

Thank you for your question about the tummy tuck procedure.  You appear to be a good candidate for the tummy tuck procedure.  It is not unusual to repair relatively small umbilical or midline hernias at the same time as the tummy tuck.  So, the answer to your question is yes...you can accomplish all three goals with one surgery.  To be sure, consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to discuss your options.  Best wishes!

Will a tummy tuck help me?

Thank you for the question and pictures. You will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck (standard or extended) surgery;  yes, you should be able to achieve all three of your objectives during the operation. 
Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.
 When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. It will be important to educate yourself about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and have a good idea of realistic expectations. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

TT

A well done tummy tuck with repair of your diastasis recti should help you out alot with  your problems. You might want to lose a pound or two before the surgery also for the best result.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD