NYC / Tri-State Ethnic Alarplasty & Tiplasty needed? Opinions please (photos)

The lower half of my nose is too large/wide for my face. I like my bridge, so wish to avoid touching bones. I'm wondering if reducing my nostrils via alarplasty will make my tip more bulbous - creating the need for a tiplasty too? Am I a candidate? I'm hoping to stay noninvasive and would prefer a local anesthesia. How much would both procedures cost (Tri-state)? I plan to go for an official consultation as soon as I find a Dr, but I wanted some feedback prior... Thanks for your help

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question.  It is tempting for many patients and some surgeons to do this under local anesthesia, but I dont think this is a good idea.  I frequently perform alarplasty with tip refining surgery.  Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. In my practice this procedure is performed under general anesthesia in the operating room with a board-certified MD anesthesiologist present.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon