How long do we have to stay sleeping on our backs after breast augmentation? When is it safe to start sleeping on my side?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. It is better to sleep on your back at least for a month until your implants start to settle in. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Breast augmentation recovery?

Hello, thank you for your inquiry. I usually have my patients sleep on their back with pillows on their back for at least 2 weeks, this is only so that the implants do not go up, also it is very important to use the post band to help the implants stay down and if your surgeon suggested massages as well twice a day. Best of luck. 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - how long to sleep on one's back

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • I ask patients to try to sleep on their backs - 
  • But if they can't, I let them sleep on their sides with lots of pillows to support them.
  • Every surgeon is different - so your surgeon may not agree.
  • The problem with sleeping on your back is that it often gives people severe back pain.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I allow my BA patients to sleep on their side after surgery if preferred but typically it is not comfortable for at least a couple of weeks. Ask your Plastic Surgeon what they recommend for you,
All the best

When can I sleep on my side?

On average, most patients take about three weeks before they are comfortable sleeping on their side.  It should be safe to sleep on your side when you are comfortable. 

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position

Thank you for your question. Your surgeon will provide you the best advice for you particular case, however, generally it is safe to sleep in any position once your pain has subsided. This generally takes 2-4 weeks for most patients. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on back after augmentation

Hello Nancy, 
Typically for my patients I recommend sleeping on their back for the first 3-6 weeks during the formation of the capsule around the implant. Sleeping on your back allowing the capsule to form correctly is going to give you the best breast augmentation result possible. Most surgeons allow their patients to begin sleeping on their sides around week 3, usually with a pillow to prevent rolling onto the stomach. Once the capsule has formed around the implant there isnt much sleeping-wise that will hurt the position of the breast. Best wishes.

Traci Temmen, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon