Coolsculpting: 1st treatment very painful after but great results on inner thighs. 2nd treatment- hardly any pain. Same results?

1st time: had coolfit applicator, big block of fat after and painful massage. Pain afterwards severe-numb and tenderness for two weeks. 2nd treatment: coolcurve applicator placed closer to my groin. Harder to get it to stay than the coolfit. After- no big mound of fat like from the first time. I have hardly any pain today which is very surprising because the first time I could hardly walk. Is it possible the applicator wasn't really getting any of the fat cells even though it was "sucking"?

Coolsculpting

Hi,

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

Pain does not indicate if the treatment was successful or not. I wouldn't worry about it.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sorry about your discomfort with the first treatment session. However, pain is subjective and does not indicate how successful the coolsculpting treatment will be so remain optimistic.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and pain and results

Depending on the area of treatment and how much you exercise as a base line you may not have any pain or discomfort.  Pain is not a prediction at all of the final results. Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting

coolsculpting selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. Having a painless experience does not predict the final results. Time will tell.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon