Would a chemical peel be a good choice for a old bleach burn ? (photos)

Being an African American , I just want this gone please help

Treating a bleach burn that darkened the skin

Thank you for asking about your burned skin.

• Darkened skin can be difficult to treat.
  • I suggest you start with a prescription strength hydroquinone and probably a glycolilc and retin A cream.
  • A steroid cream might be added as well.
  • you must keep the dark area away from the sun and protected with sun  block or it will darken again.
  • After a month of skin treatment, light glycolic peel might be tried - work up slowly to stronger peels.
  • Each time you peel the skin, it is possible to damage the skin or darken it so please -
  • do this with professional supervison and be patient.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Burn

I would be cautious in regards to chemical peels for the area, since it could worsen the hyperpigmentation. I would recommend starting with topical bleaching agents. There area several OTC ones, but I would recommend using a prescription strength bleaching agent to get a result. I would recommend seeing your local dermatologist for a consult.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Chemical Peels and Dark Skin

Chemical Peels in darker skin have to be performed by a board certified dermatologist who is knowledgable in darker skin.  A combination go bleaching agents and topical creams along with the peels are really the best way to go about treating this.  Best, Dr. Green

Burn

Hello, I would be concerned that a chemical peel could  actually worsen the appearance of the burn. I would recommend starting you on topical skin lightening agents such as hydro quinine, tretinoin and glycolIc acid products. Best, Dr Anna Magee

Anna Magee, MD
Charlottesville Dermatologic Surgeon