Would a chemical peel be a good choice for a old bleach burn ? (photos)

Being an African American , I just want this gone please help

Doctor Answers 4

Treating a bleach burn that darkened the skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for asking about your burned skin.

  • Darkened skin can be difficult to treat.
  • I suggest you start with a prescription strength hydroquinone and probably a glycolilc and retin A cream.
  • A steroid cream might be added as well.
  • you must keep the dark area away from the sun and protected with sun  block or it will darken again.
  • After a month of skin treatment, light glycolic peel might be tried - work up slowly to stronger peels.
  • Each time you peel the skin, it is possible to damage the skin or darken it so please -
  • do this with professional supervison and be patient.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would be cautious in regards to chemical peels for the area, since it could worsen the hyperpigmentation. I would recommend starting with topical bleaching agents. There area several OTC ones, but I would recommend using a prescription strength bleaching agent to get a result. I would recommend seeing your local dermatologist for a consult.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist
4.4 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Chemical Peels and Dark Skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chemical Peels in darker skin have to be performed by a board certified dermatologist who is knowledgable in darker skin.  A combination go bleaching agents and topical creams along with the peels are really the best way to go about treating this.  Best, Dr. Green


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello, I would be concerned that a chemical peel could  actually worsen the appearance of the burn. I would recommend starting you on topical skin lightening agents such as hydro quinine, tretinoin and glycolIc acid products. Best, Dr Anna Magee

Anna Magee, MD
Charlottesville Dermatologic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.