One breast after fat transfer is still very large, hard and painful. Seeking other opinions.

Hello all, yes I've spoken to my doctor about this many times, I am trying to get other opinions until I see him next wk. I'm 5 weeks post-op (fat transfer to breast) and for the past 3 wks, one breast is settled (lost 90% fat), and the other has never settled, and is still very high/round, as hard as a rock, and extremely painful. We've ruled out infection. My doc says its inflamed and is taking longer to absorb the fat. On anti-inflam Rx. What else can I do?! What's happening??! Thanks x

Your surgeon

It would be nice to know how much fat was transferred to the breasts during your surgery.  There is a limit on how much can be placed at one time successfully.  If too much is placed, and the fat is just "pooled" into the breasts then you are at risk for fat necrosis (hardness) and infection.  From your pictures, I would be concerned with potential hematoma (bleeding) or fat necrosis.  Your surgeon is your best source at this time.  You can always consider a second consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience in breast fat grafting (sometimes that requires traveling).  Best wishes.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry and Pain after Fat Transfer

As long as you have a good relationship with your surgeon, he will be the best one to answer those questions since he is privy to all the details of your preoperative anatomy and knows how the fat was injected and how much was placed. It 's not been my experience that fat disappears so quickly as to cause this asymmetry so it would seem the issue is why your right breast is so swollen. Bleeding and infection are the typical causes but it is not possible to differentiate these based upon the photos. With appropriate therapy this issue will gradually resolve (swelling, pain) and hopefully any residual size difference. Work with your surgeon and if necessary in your opinion, have an in person second opinion if you are not satisfied with what you are being told.  Best of Luck   Dr Harrell