Any and all advice appreciated, having a facelift, upper lids and brow lift in few months.

Advice on post care, how long to plan to be out of sight, how long would I ask someone to stay with me.

You’ll likely need to spend two weeks hiding out during your face lift recovery.

It’s common to experience significant swelling and bruising during the first 2 weeks of your recovery, so unless you’re a master of disguise with an extensive mask collection, I suggest you lay low as the swelling subsides. Your plastic surgeon should advise you on how long you’ll need someone to stay with you. Common recommendations for post-face lift care include having a nurse or assistant present anywhere from 24 hours to 3 days following your surgery, but this will depend on your health as well as other factors. Good post-operative care includes eating nutritious foods, staying hydrated and avoiding strenuous exercise. No 5Ks while your incisions are still fresh!

Facelift after care

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Every cook has a different recipe to make the same soup. Based on the techniques, the outcomes and recovery are different between patients. the specific answer to your question could be 7 days to 14 days. The best way of addressing this topic is asking your surgeon his experience with the type of procedure that he will be doing on you. You are paying a lot of money for this procedure. This is the minimum information that they should be able to provide. 

Wishing you the best in your journey

Postop care following facial rejuvenation surgery

Hello.  Thank you for your question.  The protocol for postoperative care varies from on physician practice to another.  I would advise you to direct your questions to your primary surgeon during your preoperative visit.  I suspect that they will go over all of this information with you prior to your procedure and give you instructions for care at each step during the recovery process.  I typically recommend that patients have some one to take them home and stay with them on the night of the procedure and bring them back the next morning for the initial postop visit.  Although it may be helpful to have someone with you for 2 - 3 days to help out during recovery, I think most people can function independently after the first 24 hours.  However, you should not drive until you have discontinued use of narcotic pain medications.  Most people can get back out in public in 10 - 14 days, but some may be able to get back out in 7 - 10 days, if they don't have much bruising or swelling.  Once again, I would encourage you to discuss these issues with your primary surgeon prior to your procedure.  I wish you the best in achieving your aesthetic goals.

Michael Boggess, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Future facelift, upper lids, and brow lift

I do a lot of facelifts and they are all done under conscious sedation with an MD anesthesiologist.  Patients go home or to a caregiver after the procedure.  It is important to have a responsible adult with you the night of surgery.  The bandage is removed the day after surgery and hair can be washed after two days. I use a technique that super hydrates the tissue before surgery and drains are rarely needed.  Everyone is different as far as going out after a facelift.  A few weeks ago my patient went sailing on San Franciso Bay 8 days after a facelift and did fine.  That is not common. Others need a few weeks to recover. Pain is usually minimal.

Barry N. Silberg, MD, FACS
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Facelift, upper blepharoplasty and browlift procedures

In our practice, we od not place any painful wrapsoer bandages around the face, instead we use suction drains that are left in place for the first 24-hour period.  The surgical procedures are performed under general anesthesia and patient's go home that evening with their caretaker.  Most patients return the next day for drain removal.    Anticipate 2 weeks of visible bruising and swelling before being back out in the public I.  For more information and many examples of all 3 procedures, please see the link and the video below 

Face lift, blepharoplasty and brow lift - how to get ready?

Thank you for asking about your face lift, blepharoplasty and brow lift.
  • Your surgeon's office is your best source for answers to all these questions but in general -
  • No smoking, regular exercise, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.
  • Two weeks out of view, unless you are excellent at concealing bruises with make-up.
  • Someone to be with you no less than the first 24 hours and ideally several days longer.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Facelift Aftercare

You should be scheduled for a pre-operative visit with your surgeon and/or nurse prior to your procedure. In my practice, the visit takes place 2 weeks prior. During the appointment, they will instruct you on the things you should do and not do before and after the surgery. For example, what medications you are able to take and not take, when to stop smoking/alcohol use, what activities you are and are not restricted from doing etc...We like for our patients to have someone with them for at least 48-72 hours after their surgery, but it really depends on how the patient is doing whether more assistance is needed. Within the week you should be returning to your surgeon's office for your first post operative visit, at which time you may receive more instructions depending on your progress.

Clayton L. Moliver, MD

Post-operative facelift, eyelift, brow lift and other surgery support and recommendations

Dear ShoshanaRose67:
  • Consult with multiple Board Certified, skilled and talented Plastic Surgeons who share your goals and expectations. 
  •           The medical support staff is more important than the surgeon following the surgery. Assure yourself the entire team is supportive.
  •            Follow the post-operative recommendations of the surgeon you choose.
  • You will be limited in your capacity to care for yourself and your surroundings for 1 to 3 weeks. 
  •             Expect swelling and bruising for no less than 2 weeks. 
  •             Plan your meals and cleaning. 
  •             Anticipate a companion no less than the time required to be off all narcotic pain medications. 
  •             If your need physical assistance, walking or driving for medical follow-up, groceries, laundry, etc.; consider help for the second 2 weeks. 
  •             Anticipate and arrange who to call in case of an urgent or emergent concern. 
All the best with your surgery!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Facelift Postop

plan on hiding out for about 2 weeks, but each surgeon has their own routine regarding postop care and follow up.  I would ask someone to stay with you at least 2-3 days if possible. Your surgeon should discuss all this with you. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Facelift Postop Care

Hi ~ Great question. In general you can expect significant bruising and swelling for 10-14 days after your surgery. Many patients are able to cover up their bruising with make-up at this point and you can go back to social events and normal activities. You should plan on having someone with you for at least the first 24 hours after surgery but you should consult with your physician about specifics.

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician