Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck? My upper belly is very loose but the lower portion is completely fine (Photos)

I am 5 feet 108 lbs. My pregnancy was 5 years ago and I hate how my belly looks. I was told that the loose skin is too far up and that a tummy tuck won't be a good option for me. I would like to hear others opinion on this issue. I am not interested in laser skin tightening options because I need a permanent solution that is guaranteed to work. Thank you all in advance.

Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck? My upper belly is very loose but the lower portion is completely fine

Thank you for the question and pictures.  Based on the photographs,  you will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. It will be important to educate yourself about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and have a good idea of realistic expectations. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Based on your pictures you provided you look like good candidate for a Full Tummy Tuck.

there are different types of tummy tucks which one is right for me and how are they different from the other? There is a mini tummy tuck, tummy tuck and a vertical abdominoplasty. The appropriate procedure depends the amount and location of the excess skin. That's what your plastic surgeon will have to determine after the actual physical exam.

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Tummy Tuck and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important when looking for a plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck that you find one who is board certified to obtain the best results possible. Based on the photos you have posted and your pregnancy history, you look like a good candidate for a traditional tummy tuck to correct the loose skin and tighten the abdominal wall. When I perform a tummy tuck, I tighten the diastasis rectus muscle which brings in the waist. I think you would be happy with the results from a traditional tummy tuck with the incision placed discreetly in the pubic area. If you are worried about the scar associated with a full tummy tuck, there are topical scar creams as well as laser treatments that can diminish the look of the scar and make it finer and less noticeable. I hope this helps!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Tummy tuck will work !

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Based on your pictures you are most likely a candidate for a full “tummy tuck”. The way we correct the rectus diastasis or “pooch” it's by plicating and  sewing the muscles back together into the midline after being displaced laterally after pregnancy.  The corrected the skin laxity that you had I would recommend not pursuing a mini- tummy tuck, as you can imagine keeping the eschar centrally located would not allow you to remove all the skin elasticity that you need for a good result.  Liposuction is not a good idea in your specific case, as this will only worsen the amount of stretched skin, and usually tightening of the muscles underneath is not perform during this procedure.

It is best to discuss your concerns with a bore certify plastic surgeon were he can perform an examination and give you a better idea of the potential outcome while sharing your goals with this surgery.  Using pictures will give us an “idea” of your problem however this not replace a physical examination.  My advice to you is to do your homework, find someone who is board certified, look at before and after pictures, discuss your goals and ask for a scar regimen after your surgery to improve the quality of the scar.

Dr. Derby Sang

Thank you for your question and your photo.

You seem to be a great candidate for a TT. i suggest you to Contact a board certified PS and let him know all your concerns.

Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy tuck candidate

Thank you for the question and photos. Based on the information you provided, you seem to be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  A mini tummy tuck may be useful if laxity and excess skin are concentrated below your navel. However, if you desire a thorough correction of muscle separation, flabby skin, and bulging of the upper abdomen, then a full tummy tuck provides the most effective solution. 

An in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon is always the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Based on your submitted photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck procedure to produce beautiful overall results.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be further evaluated, discuss your options, address your goals and work together to create the surgical plan that best helps you achieve the overall look you desire.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Tummy tuck candidate

A tummy tuck will remove your lower abdominal skin but if you are concerned about your upper abdomen, you can consider a reverse tummy tuck where the incision is on the upper portion of the abdomen. However with this approach you will have a scar under your breasts that extends across the midline. Consult with a few plastic surgeons in person for a more complete exam.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD