Mommy Makeover With Hernia Repair. Will it Take Long to Heal?

I'm having my MM on 8/8/13. I will have a TT with Hernia repair , BA and Lipo of the flanks question is: will my hernia repair take long to heal?

Healing time for mommy makeover

This is a excellent question asked by all my patients. In my practice I tell my patients that they cannot lift more than 5lbs for two weeks. I encourage walking right after surgery. After two weeks they can engage in a light exercize program for two more weeks. After 4 weeks there are no restrictions.  

Mommy Makeover Plus Hernia Repair Plan Two Weeks for Recovery

Thank you for your question. The Hernia Repair should not add significant recovery time. WE routinely repair muscles during the Tummy Tuck portion of the Mommy Makeover.

In terms of sit ups and abdominal exercises I would wait six weeks, but for getting back to work and daily activities plan two.

Your hernia repair should heal well.  The repair is generally further protected by the muscle repair work done for the tummy tuck.  For the hernia repair I would recommend avoiding any strenuous activity for about 6 weeks.

For more information, please go to my website at:

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and hernia repair

Most all hernia repairs associated with a tummy tuck would take 6-8 weeks before you can perform heavy lifting. You could possibly return to work in 3-4 weeks without any lifting.

Mommy Makeover and Hernia Repair

The hernia repair should not add any additional recovery time. Wait 6 to 8 weeks before getting back into heavy workouts, but you should be able to return to work in 2 weeks.  Best wishes for a fast recovery!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Hernia Repair Recovery

Thank you for your question. This question is difficult to answer without more information regarding your hernia.  Small hernia that can be treated while placating the muscles during the tummy tuck would not add any time to your recovery.  Larger hernias may prolong your recovery. Discuss this matter further with your surgeon. All the best.

Mommy makeover plus hernia repair

Repairing an abdominal hernia will not prolong recovery if it is done in conjunction with a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).  The muscle tightening that goes along with a standard abdominoplasty requires the same amount of abdominal muscle rest as a hernia repair (about 6 weeks).

Mommy make-over with hernia repair

Thank you for asking about healing after a mommy-make over + hernia repair.

• Has your hernia been repaired before? Does it come through a previous tummy scar?  Have abdominal contents come through the muscle fascia?
  • An ultrasound may answer these questions.
  • If the answers are 'no', you are likely to heal like any tummy tuck/BA - 5 days of pain, 2 weeks to 70% recovery, 6 weeks to full energy.
  • If 'yes', discuss recovery with your surgeon - it can be much longer. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover

Hi there and thanks for you question,

The muscle or "hernia" repair is a routine part of tummy tuck in anyone who has had children.

It certainly increases the post operative level of discomfort, when compared to women who undergo a TT without muscle repair but not to a significant degree.

In our practice, we place "painbusters" in the muscle which allow local anaesthetic to go around the muscle  repair for the first 48 hours after the operation. This has dramatically reduced the analgaesic requirements of our patients.

So to answer your question, the repair like your wound, will take around 6 weeks to get to full strength, and in this time it is important that you avoid straining and heavy lifting as it could undo the repair. 

Good luck and best wishes

Richard Bloom  FRACS (PLAS)

National Chairman Board of Plastic Surgery

Melbourne , Australia

Mommy Makeover

Normally a ventral hernia repair with abdominoplasty is a simple procedure to repair the hernia. How ever, if the hernia is very large, or recurrent, or the abdominal wall needs reconstruction as in component separation procedure, then this will make the hernia repair more complex. however the recovery in these combinations still will be the same four to six weeks before full activity.