Volbella and dental work. Is there a risk of infection?

i am scheduled for vobella to treat my smokers lines. I have never had fillers. I also have an appointment to have my teeth cleaned a month later which i have to have done. Is this ok or is there a risk of infection

Volbella and dental work

No problems at one month, especially if it is only cleaning and scaling. The problem is with active sinus infections or subclinical - acute tooth abscess etc. Completely safe to have filler done. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Dental Work and Volbella Are Fine Together

It's fine to have dental work done one month before or after receiving Volbella to smooth out your perioral wrinkles. Both Volbella and Voluma use Vycross technology, which causes less swelling and therefore has very little to no downtime. The same technology makes them harder to break down and they can last over 1 year. Because of the long lasting results, they are almost like surgical implants and we ask patients to avoid dental work for 1 month after injection. Dental work releases bacteria into the blood stream and with newly implanted fillers, bacteria could create a film around the filler. However, if you wait 1 month after injection, all the inflammation is resolved and it is safe to have dental work. Please consult a board-certified dermatologist if you have any more concerns.  

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Teeth cleaning after Volbella

Thank you for your question yeahrite. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Volbella is a hyaluronic acid filler designed to enhance the volume, definition, and shape of the lips as well as to address lines on or around the lips. For my patients I recommend avoiding other treatments in the area around the lips for one week after a Volbella treatment. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Volbella safely restores lip area youthfulness

Hi yeahrite. No risk of infection one month after injections as the Volbella should be well integrated.  Volbella is hyaluronic gel, and hyaluronic is a naturally occurring component of our skin.  Volbella is a great filler for treating smoker's lines and enhancing the lips.  Enjoy your youthful lips!

Vaishali B. Doolabh, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Vobella and teeth cleaning

Hello. You should be fine to have your dental cleaning one month after your Vobella treatment. The small opening in the skin created at the injection will have been long closed. I hope you love your Vobella as much as my patients have!

Renee Burke, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Dental Work Post-Volbella

Thanks for your question. You will be fine to have teeth cleaning a month after Volbella injections. Good luck!

Jennifer Levine, MD

Volbella and dental work. Is there risk of infection?

Although there is very little risk for infection, I would wait at least 7-10 days after injection of Volbella before having any dental work.  The concern is not injection but instead the fact that this product can be somewhat malleable and I would rather not have someone manipulating your mouth aggressively following treatment. 

We are seeing great results with this product and have some very happy patients. 

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Vobella and dental work

Vobella is FDA approved for fine lines around the lips. It is ideal for exactly what you are getting done. I also think there is no chance of infection with your dental appointment being one month later. You will be happy with the filler for your smokers lines. Best of luck!

Lesley Rabach, MD

Thank you for sharing your question.  At one month after treatment you are safe to have your dental cleaning without fear of infection.  The dermal filler would have incorporated itself into your tissues and not be at risk.  Hope this helps.

Volbella and lip injections and dental work

There is no risk one month later in having your teeth cleaned.  Volbella is a great injection for the fine lines around the mouth.  Be certain to consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in facial fillers.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD