Please help! Got tattoo removal back in June 2016. It is now almost December (Photo)

Please help! I got laser treatment done 5 or so months ago. The whole process was easy. No blisters and the pain wasn't too bad. After the first couple a months or so I noticed my arm was still red. I was unsure if the laser changed the ink color or my body still has some healing time. It is now month 5. Redness may be down a little, but still noticeable. I am not sure what the next step is. Is it as simple as applying a cream or do I need another procedure?

You need more treatments!!

you will need several more treatments. Pico is the best laser available for tattoos especially for black, blues and darer colors. you should try and get treatments about every two months. you need to use sunscreen between treatments. 

david berman md

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Laser Tatoo Removal

Thank you for your question. Picosure has a short pulse duration that exceeds photothermal action and results in an intense photomechanical impact. This adds up to faster results and fewer treatments when compared to other tattoo removal methods. It works best on darker inks such as black and blue. The number of sessions required to remove a tattoo can range from 6-10 sessions. The amount of sessions depends on the size, color and placement of the tattoo. The further the tattoo is from the heart the more time it will take to remove. I hope this information helps. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

PicoSure - Tattoo Removal

The key to tattoo removal is patience. The number of treatments varies by the ink and size of the tattoo. What type of laser did you use for tattoo? The PicoSure laser is has been developed and approved for tattoo ink removal, acne scars and any other blemishes you dislike. The PicoSure is FDA-approved and highly effective for removing regrettable tattoos and scars.  I recommend getting a in person consultation with a board-certified dermatologist.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Laser tatoo removal

Tattoo removal takes time and patience.    You will need another 5 or 10 treatments to see what is possible.  Find someone to work with and be sure they use the Picosure laser system.   My Best,  Dr Commons

'

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

​Patience is the Key to Laser Tattoo Removal

Thanks for your question.  You did not mention what kind of laser treatment you had.  We have treated several multi-color ink tattoos with great success.  We utilize a PicoSure with 755nm & 532nm for these ink colors. 

Patience is the key to any laser tattoo removal plan.  We tell every Pico tattoo removal patient to expect at least 6 treatments and don't be surprised if it is 10-12 or longer with thick tribal tattoos.  We see some patients twice a year and their tattoos seem to clear up to 6 months.  After using the PicoSure for 2 years, we have found it is best to wait 2-6 months between treatments.  There is a limit to how small the laser can break up the ink.  It's up to you and your body to take the ink away.  We encourage our patients to drink plenty of water, sweat it out and eat a healthy diet between treatments.

If don't think it is continuing to fade, I would suggest you are ready for another treatment.  Prices vary by market.  You are trying to reverse permanent ink.  Good Luck and have patience!

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician