3 weeks post-op BA, is this symmastia? (photo)

I am 3 weeks post op (325 & 350 round mentor implants). My sternum swelling initially went down, but now it's swelling again. I want to know if it is symmastia. Also, I noticed a supraclavicular lymph node swollen on my right side, and the doctor told me there is also an axilary nose palpable.

Possible fluid collection

This is a very good question that will be relevant to many women who undergo breast augmentation. I agree that you should see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible to rule out a possible hematoma vs a seroma. Although a hematoma would be unusual so long after surgery if activity restrictions were maintained and with no history of trauma, it has been known to happen. 

As you nicely point out there is clearly an asymmetry and hematoma and seromas need to be ruled out. This can be done by seeing your plastic surgeon.

Good luck and good health!

Westport Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. I recommend you to see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible and follow his advices. Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

3 weeks post-op BA, is this symmastia?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photograph you are at risk for symmastia.  See your plastic surgeon and ask for advice on wearing a "symmastia bra".

Symmastia?

It appears that there is some swelling between the breasts and a vague distinction there. Although it doesnt appear to be symmastia, it might help to wear a special bra that applies some pressure between the breasts such as the ThongBra or similar. I would schedule frequent visits to your surgeon to make sure that things are progressing as expected.

Best of luck recuperating,

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination, it appears that there is a distinct plane between your breasts, and as a result I do not think you have synmastia.  You do have some asymmetry between your breasts, as well as soft tissue swelling that is likely accounting for your current differences.  This should resolve/improve with additional healing time.  Hope this helps.

Not Symmastia

You don't appear to have symmastia as you have good medial definition at your sternum. You probably still have some swelling. Even though your initial swelling went down, it is normal to have some residual swelling for 3-6 months. In addition, your implants are riding a little high and medial, which will settle over the next 3-6 months as well. As mentioned by others, you should follow closely with your plastic surgeon with any concerns. 

David Graham, MD
Rochester Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photograph.

It does not appear to be symmastia but there is some asymmetry between the breasts. At 3 weeks post op this could just be due to swelling resolving but I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your surgeon to have an examination and discuss your concerns to rule out any potential complications. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia?

I do not think that it is symmastia. It looks like swelling and there appears to be in the photo a separation between the two sides, although one looks larger.

Symasstia or not

there is some size discrepancy

and is this fluid or what.I would go back to your sirgeon and have it checked out.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post-op breast augmentation, is this symmastia?

Your concerns are understandable. The photograph demonstrates that your breast implants that are close to one another but there is no symmastia present.  You are likely experiencing sternal skin tenting and/or sternal swelling.

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to more specific assessment/advice. Best wishes.