Size change. Wondering will it look the same with a 4.9 projection with no padded bra?

I am really confused. I have 240cc moderate profile right now and I'm scheduled for a revision with 375cc hp I have a narrow frame and weigh 119 lbs at 5"5 My base width is 11.7 and I wanted a little more projection than my current 3.2. The hp will give me a 4.9 projection. I'm very fearful that will be a huge difference in projection. I'm wearing padded push up bras still. Wondering will it look the same with a 4.9 projection with no padded bra?

Best breast implant for revisionary breast surgery?

Thank you for the question.  Although I appreciate your attempts at communication utilizing base width measurements and breast implant dimensional measurements,  there are many other variables that come into play when achieving a patient's aesthetic goals with breast augmentation surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “look more projection” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Choosing the right implant

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• If you are wearing padded, push up bras, try measuring the projection they give you.
  • The larger, high profile implant is like to be similar as to the effect of the current bra.
  • If you think this is not the right implant, be sure to see your surgeon again before making your decision.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Projection issue

If the volume is a concern. you can add volume by doing a baggy test.  This will give a rough idea.  It is difficult to say whether or not you will be happy with more projection.

Breast implant exchange

Hello and thank you for the question. Many women contemplate changing their size, and most of the time, it is for a larger size. 

Generally, I recommend at least a 100 cc exchange for most women. Less, and the difference would be barely visible. 

Most padded bras add 100-150 cc to the look of the breast, so going from 240 to 375 would be about that range. The projection will be different too. You will have more projection than before. One thing you can try at home is the rice test. 

Take an old pair of nylons, and fill them with dry rice. wear that inside your bra for a couple hours and see what volume you like. The conversion is 1 ounce of dry rice = approximately 30 cc of volume. That will help you at least get a ballpark estimate of the implant size you are hoping to achieve. So if you are considering a 375, I would add about 4.5 ounces of rice to each breast and wear that in a non padded bra. Do this for a couple hours on a weekend, and then try 5 ounces or 4 ounces, etc... This will help nail down for you the size range you want. Since it is impossible to do the sizers in your bra with your existing implants in place. 

You should seek several consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area before making any final decisions.
As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and to make sure any health care concerns you have are managed by your primary care physician.
Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon