Whats the best way to remove this tattoo? (photos)

I just got this a few months ago, its abut 2"x2", on my forearm, with a little white in the feather tips. Whats the best way to have this removed?

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to tattoo removal. Laser tattoo removal appears to be the best option to remove your tattoo. Tattoo removal can take several treatments depending on a variety of factors. Black ink however tends to respond the best in the removal process. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Laser Tattoo Removal

Laser tattoo removal is likely your best option.  The black ink is usually very response to laser.  However, it may take 5-10 treatments depending on how your tattoo responds.  Excision on the forearm is generally not a good option unless the tattoo is very small or the tattoo is linear and oriented lengthwise along your arm.  Tattoos on the thigh, abdomen or lower back which are not treatable by laser or often good candidates for excision.  

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD

Tattoo Removal

A Q-switched laser can safely and effectively remove the black ink.  It will take approximately 7-10 treatments to completely remove all of the ink, but there would normally be significant fading after 2-3 treatments.  A pico sure laser is another excellent option.

Marilyn Pelias, MD
New Orleans General Surgeon

Spot be gone

Tattoos can be tricky. As you know there are different factors to each one. How deep did the artist go? What colors are you looking to remove? What type of ink was used? The main question is how many treatments will you need to remove it, and which laser is most effective. There are so many different types of lasers out, and determining which one is best for the tattoo may be tricky. Your very best option is to meet with a plastic surgeon or medical Aesthetician that can advise you as to what your best options are. There are different lasers for depth, colors, and ink so finding out which one you need will be in your best interest before you go doing treatments that aren’t suitable for your particular tattoo.

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon