What is my best option to make my lips fuller without showing less teeth? (Photo)

I am wondering if it is possible to get fuller lips without ultimately showing less teeth. I feel like any time I see lip enhancements, the person's teeth show less. That being said, I am wondering what would be the best option for me to make my lips fuller without making it so I show less of my top teeth? I have been told that I have a short lower facial height. Please tell me if additional photos are needed. Thank you!

Natural Looks for Lip Augmentation

Depending on where we inject, this can result in the lip everting or rolling out which is desirable in some patients.  Be sure to share your "wishes" before injections so that the treatment can be customized to your liking.   In your case, the rule might be 'less is more" , so that your teeth are not hidden by a fuller top lip.

San Juan Capistrano Physician

Properly Performed Nonsurgical Lip Augmentation With Injectable Volumizing Fillers Should Result In A Natural Look

I have been performing nonsurgical lip augmentation using volumizing fillers for over three decades, since the early days injecting the original Zyderm collagen and Zyplast products. Properly performed, nonsurgical lip augmentation should result in fuller lips, better proportion between them, and symmetry. It should not give rise to  the kind of changes in your smile that you are concerned about. 

In my Upper East Side Manhattan office, I typically use Juvederm Ultra Plus XC for the red body of the lips and Juvederm Ultra XC for the vermilion border/white roll regions. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers and volumizers are available, I typically choose Princess Volume for the body of lips and Princess Filler for the lip borders.)

Given your concerns and hesitation, I think that it would be especially important for you to seek consultation with a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise and experience in performing nonsurgical lip augmentation.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Fillers can help achieve full lips without impacting smile

Absolutely. Increased lip fullness can be achieved with fillers without impacting the appearance of your smile. Make sure to visit an experienced expert injector who can select the right product and right treatment technique for your unique lips. Thanks for sharing your pics, hope that helps, and good luck!

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Balance in Lip Augmentation

You are very observant.  It is important to evaluate not only the lips but also the entire mouth area before embarking on lip augmentation.  This is especially true as we age, because in fact upper the lip does lengthen with gravity as we age, at the same time that the lips are getting thinner with age.  In your case it is not age but the hand  (lips) you were dealt!

I am personally not  a big fan of resecting the upper lip as it meets the nose, but rather to fill the lips conservatively in cases such as yours, accentuating the lower lip pout, and filling out the lateral lips where they can be especially thin.

The moral of the story is to be sure you and your doctor are communicating well about your goals and concerns, and realistic expectations.

Kaye Riolo, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Fuller lips

Fuller lips do not necessarily mean less tooth show.  Best to review with you injector your goals of lip augmentation. This can be done very subtly.

Contolled lip fullness

An in-person consultation is going to best serve you, to allow a physician to feel and see your lips in movement, real time.  There are many choices available to you: surgical alteration, lips implants, and filler.
Hopefully these options can be further addressed at the time of your visit. All the best.

Kimberly Eickhorst, MD
Danbury Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

I appreciate your concern,but lip augmentation done properly looks natural, and still shows teeth when smiling. I would recommend conservative lip augmentation with Hyaluronic Acid, like Juvederm plus. Another option is fat transfer which is more permanent. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Filler and lip lift

Thank you for your question.  I agree a surgical lip lift may be indicated, however if you wish to go the non-surgical route you may consider filler with Ulthera to lift the upper lip.  In combination you will get a lip lift as well as volume.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Fuller lips

From the photos you show, it looks like the answer might be a lip lift with a small vermilion rollout (modified corner mouth lift).  What's missing from the photos is a frontal view with your lips in repose. The downside is the scar, but your anatomy is favorable.
Find a great cosmetic surgeon near you who is familiar with "around the mouth" surgery and get his/her opinion.
I hope this helps!
Rob

Robert K. Sigal, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon