How long must I wait after deep plane FL to correct bad pixie ears and horrible vertical banding on neck?

6 months out and now developed bad ear-ache on one side. Neck banding is not improving. I believe the dr buried stitches in my ear cartledge and tried to pull the location of my ears further down on my face something does not normal . Earlobes uneven, stretched, and stitched to my jaw . Believe some nerve damage with weakness on one side of lower lip and when I touch the skin behind the ear on that side ,I get a very strange sensation at the top of the ear. I am DONE with this horrible dr.

Neck Banding and earlobes

Thank you for your questions.  Without photos it is quite difficult to tell exactly what is your concern but I will make a general comment that earlobe pixie ears are usually a result of tension on the ear lobe.  This could be caused by a number of things but its best to ask your surgeon if this could be improved.  Usually any revision should wait for all the swelling to rsolve and this is usually as early as 6 months and may take as long as a year.  As for the vertical banding I assume you are talking about the banding from the platysma muscles under the chin.  It is not common that people get banding to the sides of the neck and so I will again assume you mean the bands in the midline under the chin.  These bands usually improve immediately postop after most facelifts but can sometimes partially recur depending on your tissue, scarring, and elasticity as well as technique chosen to correct the bands at the time of the neck lift.  You may wish to ask your surgeon if a platysmaplasty was performed to correct this since some facelifts do not necessarily include this as a routine.  This will vary from patient to patient and of course surgeon to surgeon.  If the bands are not improving you may wish to ask your surgeon what can be done to resolve it.

Facelift #faceliftrecovery #fatgrafting #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery #woundhealing #fillers #jowls

Dear NYcitygirl49

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that you are unhappy.  The timeline to make changes is dependent on the quality of your tissues.  It can take some time for the skin to soften to be able to make the corrections - There needs to be enough mobility to correct the earlobe position.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Revision Facelift Timing

Thank you for sharing your less than ideal ordeal with the community. As far as pulled pixie ears, it is reasonable to address and shorten them as early as 6-9 months post procedure, although probably ideal to wait the full year for the scar to come to complete maturity. 

The banding in the neck (if minimal to moderate) can be considered for revision around 9 months post-op (done directly under the chin in the prior incision location). In most cases the PS would either re-stitch them together or cut the bands on each side to weaken their appearance. If the bands are moderate to severe, it is possible that you may need the revision under the chin, as well as retightening from the sides of the neck (behind the ears).

As far as the possible nerve damage on the lower corner of the mouth is concerned, the first thing I would do is compare you post-op pictures with your pre-op pictures. I mention this simply because some individuals normally have some significant asymmetry (aka unevenness) that they don't realize till after a procedure (and thus was pre-existing). Assuming this is not the case, then the recovery of the lower lip motion is a "wait and see" situation. There is unfortunately nothing to do that can help it recover. Either it is, or it isn't. The good news is that you still are relatively early in the global healing process, so there is still hope that it recovers. If and when you have a revision, please be sure to advise your surgeon of this issue as well.

Best of luck to you. -Doc L.

Paul Lanfranchi, DO, FAOCO
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift revison

Hello and thank you for your questions. Even though 6 months after surgery is a good evaluation point, without pictures, it is hard to visualize what you are actually experiencing. I had a patient that thought she had a bad result that actually looked really good vs. her pre-operative situation. A scar revision made all things better. So it's OK to express yourself.

What you need to do is seek out another Board Certified plastic surgeon, for a face to face consultation. The things you described can be corrected other than nerve damage even if you do not want to go back to your original surgeon. 

The real goal is for you to obtain the best possible result. 

Sincerely, Dr. K

Michael Kulick, MD, DDS

Face lift revision

It is always better to wait as long as possible (at least 6-12 months) before undergoing revision surgery. However, in same cases deformities are so visible that earlier correction may be justified. There is no doubt that you have experienced some undesirable sequel of face/neck lift surgery that will need correction. However, only on the basis of in-person clinical exam with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in face/lift surgery one can decide what and how soon should be done. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Revision Surgery

Thank you for your question.  This will be down to the surgeons discretion, considering what revision needs to be completed and the complexity, typically between 6 - 12 months.  Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.  All The Best 

Depends...

Although 1 year is the 'magic' number for revisions, the timing of revision surgery depends upon a number of factors...while the time course for scar tissue remodeling and skin relaxation can be a year or beyond, it can be considerably shorter/longer for some patients....in addition, a reasonable surgeon often needs to take into consideration the degree of the deformity and how compelling it is for the patient, comorbid factors like complications from the initial surgery and their prognosis, and whether or not a revision can achieve reasonable outcome for a particular patient 

All of these issues (and others) are best evaluated and discussed in person with an experienced revision surgeon

Good luck...

Richard Mark Winters, MD
Hackensack Plastic Surgeon

Face lift revision

It is always best to wait for one year if possible before revising the facelift.  However limited changes can be done around the ear even at 6 months.  The lip weakness continues to improve with time.  The strange sensation by touching in certain areas is also time-limited.  Given that you had all these issues it is best to give it one whole year for everything to heal before you decide on any revision of the facelift.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Complex judgment. You need to wait until you have enough extra skin to pull the earlobes up. It might be a while. A nerve behind the ear may have been injured and it's possible that it may get better by itself. You need to see someone in person.  

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon