How long after ab and flank lipo should the swelling and itching go away?

Hi i am 3 months post lipo on abs & flanks i still feel as if i am still swollen and certain areas are still itchy . I have a area around my belly button that still looks inflamed after almost having around 30 post op massages. Im wondering if thats cause im still swollen or doc didnt remove the proper fat from that area . And as far as my love handles i still feel as if theres still flabby as if i still have fat . How long b4 i see my final results and know if i need a retouch.

Generally speaking, most lipo patients see improvement within a couple of weeks, see a dramatic change by six weeks and see their final results between three and six months out.  Your story sounds highly unusual to me and you should be in contact with your surgeon to determine why you are itching and why you still feel "fat."  To have some swelling at three months is normal but your doctor should reexamine you and confirm that all is well.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Swelling Cessation after Liposuction--Add Venus Legacy, Exilis Ultra, Vanquish, Cellutone/Zwave, Hyperbaric Oxygen

It can take up to 6 months for your swelling to resolve after liposuction. I do recommend adding coolsculpting/vanquish for further fat removal, exilis/venus legacy for skin tightening, cellutone/z wave to make the skin smooth, remove scar tissue, and improve the appearance of cellulite. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction - when do I see my final result?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Different people heal differently - 
  • Some people truly get no swelling, some a lot.
  • But on average, most of the swelling from surgery, liposuction included, is gone after five months.
  • So you do need to give this more time.
  • It may also help to return to your surgeon to be checked.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction results.

The results from liposuction may take six months to fully develop.  With fat removed, you may be experience some loose skin in the love handle areas that you interpret as "flabby". Itching a usually a sign of healing, but it should be resolved by now.  

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

How long does swelling and itching persist after liposuction?

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend discussing your concerns with your operating surgeon, as he/she is most familiar with your specific case and in the best position to advise you on your progress thus far.  With that said, the swelling and itching that you have experienced is not uncommon and unfortunately it can persist for some time.  Generally speaking, while swelling can last 6-12 months, most patients see a nice reduction in swelling by the 3-4 month post-operative mark.  Final results can take 6-12 months to see as well, but you should begin to see gradual changes over the first 6 months.  Please follow up with your operating surgeon to discuss your progress to date and I wish you the best on your recovery.

Thank you for sharing your question.  Unfortunately without an in-person examination to assess your tissues it is difficult to know if you have reached your long-term results.  By 3 months the vast majority of your swelling has resolved but you can see subtle changes for over 6 months.  Ask your surgeon to assess your results and see if any revisions are indicated.  Best wishes. 

Swelling after liposuction

Thank you for your question.  During each consultation regarding liposuction, I discussed the post-op course and timeline.  Liposuction is a very effective treatment modality to remove stubborn areas of fat.  I have each patient follow-up in the office the morning after surgery.  Yes swelling is present to some extent, but the patient will get a pretty good idea of the end result.  The days/weeks following surgery, patients will notice a fair amount of swelling.  I feel this resolves notably around 8 weeks post surgery.  I have patients limit strenuous activity and wear a continuous compression garment for at least 3-4 weeks following surgery.  I hope this helps.  Don't hesitate to bring up any concerns with your surgeon.  They should be able to direct you with advice as to necessity of any further treatment or not.

I wish you the best,

Dr. Mooty 

R. Clark Mooty, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Lipo final results

The majority of swelling often goes down within 6-8 weeks, however often there is residual swelling for 4-6 months.