Which liposuction procedure is best for arms? (Photo)

Just looking for some suggestions, I'm interested in getting laser lipo on my arms but not sure which is best. I've been lifting weights and can feel and see the change in the muscle but not much fat-wise. Thank you!

Brachioplasty or liposuction

Hi.  I would recommend the combination of liposuction together with a brachioplasty for you.  There is currently no form of liposuction that will tighten your skin significantly enough to get a smooth contour.  But you'll have to be OK with the scar that results. 

Which liposuction procedure is best for arms?

From your photos- it appears that you are a candidate for brachioplasty. It will remove the excess skin and fat- tighten your arms. The trade off- is a scar.

Brachioplasty is a better choice in liposuction when there is significant redundant skin of the arm.

There is no liposuction technique which removes excess skin. In your particular case there's a great amount of surplus which can only be removed by surgical excision.

It appears that in your case any liposuction modality will achieve significant fat reduction but it will also inevitably result in a lot of redundant skin. I do not believe that exercises alone will give you desired aesthetic result and most likely you will need brachioplasty. Best wishes

Boris Mordkovich, MD
Englewood Physician

Considering arm liposuction

Thank you for your question about arm liposuction.

Good for you for lifting weights!
  • Your photo suggests that you carry a lot of fat in your upper arms.
  • Liposuction alone is likely to leave the skin loose.
  • If this is ok with you - then the technique is not that important -
  • You want a surgeon experienced with liposuction who can achieve as much as possible the look you want.
  • Laser or any other liposuction machine is only as good as the surgeon using it.
  • I have not found laser tightens the skin enough to be worth the risk of skin burns and long-term nerve pain.
  • Have a consultation with a plastic surgeon and discuss whether liposuction + brachioplasty (arm skin removal) is best for you - or whether you should have liposuction to start with a brachioplasty in 6 months if skin doesn't shrink enough to leave you pleased with your result.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Lipo of arms

Liposuction can be performed on your arms but the skin will not likely tighten.  Eventually you might want to consider a brachioplasty

Arm liposuction

Thanks for your question and photos.

I routinely do liposuction of the arms with good results, however, your arms will NEVER be tight after an aggressive liposuction.  If this is what you are looking for, do not believe what anyone tells you about the amount of skin tightening following any type of liposuction.  You must first be very specific on the type of results you desire.  There is a moderatie amount of contracture (skin tightening) post liposuction, but not on the scale related to your present arm size and texture of your skin (as best I can make out by your photos).

Best of luck

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Arm Liposuction

Liposuction would decrease the amount of fat you have in your upper arms but would not help tighten your skin much if at all. This is because your skin looks to be loose already. Therefore, I don't think that liposuction would give you the result you want unless you are Ok with your skin hanging loosely. The best way to contour your arms would be a combination of liposuction and surgery to remove the excess skin. Search "arm lift" or "brachioplasty" and you will find more information about this procedure. Good luck.

Without examining you it's difficult to know what will be best for you. It really depends on how good the recoil of your skin is. You are at high risk for excess skin which would require a brachioplasty to remove it. Laser liposuction may give you a slightly better result than traditional liposuction but the studies don't seem to show a huge difference in the amount of skin contraction and it is risky for burns if your surgeon is very aggressive. A radio frequency based system like BodyTite has better results for skin contraction and may give you better odds of avoiding a larger surgery. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you who performs BodyTite and have them examine you. Best of luck!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Laser lipo for arms

I would not recommend this procedure based on your photos as you will not get enough skin tightening and will have residual sagging which will exchange one issue for another.