1 month post op Labiaplasty, I have a split where stitches have come apart. Is this normal? (photos)

I had a labia last month, it's healing well, but there is a split in my left labia.Im very annoyed and upset and depressed. I tried to email my surgeon but he hasn't replied me. what should I do to make my left labia looks as normal as the right one?is the re-stitching required? if so, how long I can do for it? I'm a bit scared of getting pain for this again. Thanks

A wedge labiaplasty scar falls apart again

Wedge labiaplasty scars are the weakest of all labiaplasty methods. The problem is tension. The tension is greatest at the edge where yours separated. No restitching will work at this point in time because the tissue is soft and brittle. You'll have to wait at least six months for a revision and there's a good chance that the revision will fail if the same technique is repeated. See an expert when you're ready.

Labiaplasty split

Hi Louise,
One of the complications of a labiaplasty is a split with a wedge resection.  But it is also one of the best techniques to perform such a surgery to achieve the most natural look.  At this point, it is important to be patient.  The female genital tissue is very forgiving.  In about 4-6 months have the labia reevaluated by your surgeon or another that you feel comfortable with.  You may or may not need revision.  But if you do, the process will have better success after the 6 month time period.  

​Unfortunately, you've had a complication (V-wedge type incision, separated on the left side.)

Hello Louise,

Unfortunately, you've had a complication (V-wedge type incision, separated on the left side.) This is not something that will "seal" on its own.  It is also not something you should have revised right away.

You are a healthy woman as you are, and, now that the excess labial tissue is "out of the way" you may elect to "...leave well enough alone."  It should not cause you sexual pain, and your present or future partners will not diss you for it, to be sure.

However, you may elect to have it either revised or "re-done."  If so, it is very important, even if you wish it "fixed" sooner (like NOW..!), to wait until a minimum of 3 months after surgery to have a revision.  This is partly because, at that time when everything has fully healed, softened, and all swelling is gone, you may elect to not have it revised.  More importantly, it takes 3-4 months before the tissue is "re-vascularized" and chances for a successful revision or re-operation are best.

A "trim" of the protruding tips on the left and perhaps the right middle as well would probably be more successful than trying to re-wedge the left, as the surgeon would have to go into the vulvar vestibule on the left, and this approach less chance of success than trim (I have performed ~ 50 revisions & re-do's...).

Best bet would be to in-person or via Skype calmly discuss the situation with your original surgeon.  He or she should not charge you for the revision, but you need to feel confident that your surgeon is up to the task and seems to have a viable plan.  If you go elsewhere, be sure you see someone who speializes in revisions and has done at least 200-300 previous procedures and a good handfull of revisions. A "new" surgeon will charge you for the revision.

Best of health; best of luck!

-Dr. Goodman

Complication of Labiaplasty

Dear Louise205,

It is understandable that you would be upset with the results of this surgery.  Unfortunately one of the common complications of the wedge procedure is edge separation, which is what has happened to you.

It is best to wait a few months for everything to heal completely and then have an evaluation for a revision if it continues to bother you.

There are definite measure that can be taken to reduce post-op discomfort so your pain is minimal, and it is likely the trim method will give you a better aesthetic result and still maintain a small labial edge.

Hopefully you will connect with your surgeon as soon as possible for an examination and recommendation.

Sincerely,

Dr. Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Post op Labiaplasty, I have a split

Hi one of the more common reported undesirable  issues with labiaplasty is having a stitch not hold and having the labia split a bit.  If it heals like this one would require a small revision.  In general one should wait about 6 or more months before revising the area.  Discuss this with your surgeon.  Best wishes for a resolution.

Post-op revisions

You can experience wound healing problems after a labiaplasty such as you have described.  My advice is to wait at least 5 or 6 months post-op prior to revising this side.  Don't worry, I suspect that it will ultimately look normal.

When labia have splits in the edge

revisions are needed.  But for the moment, you must allow it to heal completely before having the revision done and that would mean at least 3 months in my practice.  So look for a good time for you to heal since you now know what it is like to abstain for 6 weeks and then have it done then.  Most doctors have a revision policy so you should find out what your surgeon's one is so you are aware of what costs you are looking at.

Curtis Wong, MD

#Labiaplasty - 1 month post op; a split where stitches have come apart.

I'm sorry for the problem you're having.

Wound separation and secondary healing, as would be the case based on what you describe, is a known complication of any surgical procedure.  It may have happened to a certain degree in your case (the photo suggests that but I can't say for sure).  You should be seen in person by your own surgeon or, if that is not possible, a covering surgeon or another surgeon (or two) near you.

Most likely, you will be advised to wait for about 6 months following your procedure (at a minimum) to allow for all of the swelling to come down.  There can be a lot of swelling associated with this procedure (due largely to the vascular and dependent nature of the surgical site) and it should be resolved before considering a secondary procedure.

At that time you'll have to go over the various options.  If, as appears to be the case, the separation is limited to a relatively small area (ie extending less than a centimeter inward), it may be possible to re-excise the area and re-approximate (re-suture) the edges.  If there is enough redundant tissue remaining this can be a satisfactory approach.

You should be seen in person both at this point of your recovery and again at approximately 6 months to see what your various options are.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

Separation of sutures after labiaplasty

Sometimes there is a separation of the wound edges as it appears on your photograph.  Make sure you are being followed by your surgeon. In general, it is best to wait on any revision for at least 4-6 months.  That ensures all swelling has gone down and that the tissues may be able to hold sutures again.  Hang in there and keep your surgeon in the loop.  Below is a fully healed labiaplasty example. Best,

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Wound separation after labiaplasty

There is nothing you can do at this point to change how things are healing. You have had a minor wound separation one month after the procedure, and it is necessary to allow your wounds to heal.  You can reevaluate the situation in six months after you have healed.  Decisions about revision surgery can be made at that time.

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon