I am 3 weeks post op rhinoplasty septoplasty. At night my mouth and throat get so dry it hurts. Is this normal?

Mouth breathing

Perhaps you are mouth breathing during this initial post-op period because your  nose internally is swollen.

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 3 weeks after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Dry throat after rhinoplasty

This is very common. As the nose heals from surgery its normal function of humidifying the air you breathe is hindered.  That, combined with some frequent mucus and dried blood, leads to excessive mouth breathing which further dries the airway. 

I recommend having a humidifier at your bedside and lots of salt water spray for your nose. 

Check in with your surgeon to make sure you're healing on schedule but all should continue to get better. 

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist