Hiring two surgeons at the same time?

I'm currently looking into getting both a rhinoplasty and jaw implant. I know that these procedures can be done together, but I've found two separate doctors who I like for each procedure respectively and work in very close proximity to each other. Is it possible to hire two surgeons (who don't practice together) to operate at the same time? If not, what would be a good time to wait between to facial cosmetic surgeries like this?

Hiring two surgeons at the same time?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. This is not possible you can have both procedures with the same surgeon or wait to recovery from one procedure then do the next one. 3weeks to 6 weeks before the next procedure.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hiring Two Surgeons

This is a very interesting but complicated question.From your standpoint you of course have the right to choose exactly which surgeon(s) will do what you want.  The simplest way to do that is to schedule each procedure separately.Combining them has advantages but can get tricky.  First, not all surgeons have the ability to operate together legally.  Surgeons have to have operating privileges in whatever facility they're in and those are tightly regulated.  In a hospital setting you could, at least in theory, have two surgeons on staff operate together.  In an office setting, there are typically only a few - like 1, or 2, or 3 - who share the office.  You can't bring someone else (except under extraordinary circumstances).  So the logistics of accomplishing what you want may be difficult.It's easier if both surgeons don't perform both procedures; if, for example, you combined facial surgery (with a facial plastic surgeon) with body surgery (with a surgeon who specializes in that).  There are even informal groups of surgeons who work together doing exactly that, so if the ones you like happen to be those, then you're in luck.But with rhinoplasty and jaw implant, it's possible that one or both surgeons do both of those procedures, and you are then asking one to watch (basically) the other do something that he or she (most likely) feels could have been done by one surgeon.  I think you risk engendering some ill will in "forcing" that situation.And that's even assuming you can arrange it logistically.  Surgeons have to be unusually accommodating to make something like this work.So, putting this all together, find out if both surgeons do both procedures, or even if one does. If there is no overlap in the fields of specialty, and they can work together (as discussed above) you can see if they can coordinate their schedules.  If they don't operate in the same facility then it's easy - they cannot operate together. And if they do, and both perform one or both of the procedures...then I'd advise you to set up two separate surgeries.  And be prepared to at least address with the second surgeon why you chose not to go with him or her for the first procedure.Not so simple!I hope that this helps and good luck,Dr. Alan EnglerMember of #RealSelf500

Two surgeons

It's certainly possible although coordinating schedules for two surgeons to be there for you at the same time can be difficult.  You might consider asking their office coordinator if this is something they do routinely.  In our office, we do in fact routine do so for our patients.

Two surgeons

Thanks for reaching out.  Often surgeons work together and just need to coordinate their schedules.  It would be unusual however to have two different surgeons for the procedure you mention.  Most surgeons that perform one or the either likely do both.  You could always ask them, but it seems to make more sense to pick one of them.  If one of those surgeons are more of the rhinoplasty specialist I would choose that doctor.   Rhinoplasty is a more technically difficult procedure, so that surgeon would likely be able to perform a jaw implant successfully .

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation and rhinoplasty by two surgeons

Thank you for your question.  I prefer to do those procedures simultaneously for optimal results and a shorter recovery period, it would be hard to correlate two busy surgeons schedules to have them come together for your surgery but if you are set on having the two different surgeons perform each procedure, I would recommend getting the chin/jaw augmentation done first then wait 6 weeks before getting your rhinoplasty done. I hope this helps.
Good luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Combined surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. Start by asking each surgeon.  Perhaps they are able to work out this coordination in their schedules.  Alternatively, there are many surgeons who perform both rhinoplasty and jaw implants and a single surgeon could do both procedures.  Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

2 surgeons and surgery

If they have privileges at the same hospital, then it is possible for both of them to work together. Best to ask them.

Two surgeries

Since they  and their staff will be working in the same general area, it is unlikely that they can operate at the same time. One surgery would have to follow the other, lengthening the anesthesia time. Longer surgery time is associated with more risk..Also you are compromising two airways at the same time; another risk.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Planning for Rhinoplasty and Jaw Implantation w Different Surgeons

It is difficult to coordinate the schedules of two busy surgeons, especially if they do not share the same practice or surgical facilities. You may wish to speak with them about your interest in a combined procedure and ask if this is even possible in your case. If not and you prefer to have two surgeons for each area, consider waiting 12-16 weeks between each surgery. Best wishes.

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon