What facial rejuvenation would you recommend for me? (Photo)

I'm 42 years old and I have a nevus/melasma on the face. I'm losing volume on my cheeks. What would you recommend to do for facial rejuvenation? Thanks!

Doctor Answers 8


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, there is no cure for your melasma.  There are products to help brighten your skin that have to be used continuously and there are laser treatments that can help reduce the appearance.  The Halo laser by Sciton is a great laser to help with melasma however it is not a quick nor easy fix.  Multiple treatments are needed and it is a very slow process.  I would recommend to doing a consultation with an office that has a lot of experience with the Halo laser for their opinion.  Hope this helps.

Facial Rejuvenation- Combination Products and Treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Melasma is caused by overactive melanocytes in the skin. Melanocytes are the cells responsible for producing melanin, a pigment that darkens the skin and protects it from harmful UV rays.

Melasma is reoccurring, so a combination of products and treatments are recommended to achieve optimal long lasting results. 

Products that are targeted to inhibit the overactive melanocytes ( ZO Medical Melamix and Melamin) are used to lighten, brighten, even out pigmentation and slow down the production of melanin. These are prescription grade products and it is very important to be under doctors care when using these products. Your condition may worsen if not used correctly.

Chemical peels speed up the treatment of melasma and rejuvenated, by improving uneven pigment, exfoliating dead skin cells, leaving your skin brighter, smoother, healthier, aiding in cellular turnover. ZO 3 Step Stimulation Peel is an excellent peel for all skin types.

Dermal fillers such as Radiesse or Voluma will add volume to the cheek area which will lift the cheek area and help soften the nasolabial folds.

Hope this helps! Dr Faraz

Chemical peel and fat fill

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hai thanks to share your concern.you will benefit from autologous fat fill to restore volume in your cheeks which will give you optimal improvement.regarding  the pigmentation issues a combined modality of depigmenting creams and chemical peel can improve your skin texture .however do have an in person examination with a board certified surgeon discuss various options.and get it treated.good luck.

Dr. Felipe Amaya recommendation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I recommend you a medium depth peel to remove the spots and improve the texture of the skin, and a lipoinyeccion with micro fatty grafts to restore the volume lost in the middle third of your face. 

Retinol Peel and Fillers to Rejuvenate Skin and Replace Lost Volume

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on your photo, I think you would be a great candidate for a retinol peel. A retinol peel is an in-office chemical peel that will tighten and brighten your complexion while also help eliminate some of your unwanted pigmentation. The procedure takes only around 10 minutes and your skin will peel as if you had a sunburn for around 3-4 days. For cheek volume I would definitely recommend filler, however which filler and exact placement would need to be determined in person as it is very important for me to understand your specific goals so that I can create a customized treatment plan for you to achieve this.

Melasma Responds To At-Home Prescription Bleaching Creams & Loss Responds To Fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the photo, two problems are apparent:  melasma and mid face volume loss that may even be leading to some incipient jowl formation along the jawline.  The melasma can be dealt with through the use of at-home prescription compounded bleaching preparations containing hydroquinone in varying combinations, kojic acid, arbutin,

glycyrrizic acid combined with a series of in-office superficial peels: high concentration glycolic acid, salicylic acid, Jessner's solution or low concentrations of TCA .

The mid face volume depletion may be easily treated with a volumizing filler like Voluma XC, which would be my choice in my Upper East Side Manhattan office or Stylage XXL, which I would opt for in my Israel satellite facility where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved injectable volumizing fillers are available. You would do well to seek consultation with a board certified aethetic dermatologist who will be able to tailor the most appropriate  for treating the melasma and personalize the treatment of the volume loss. Best of luck.

Facial Rejuvenation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


For your expressed concerns, you may benefit from IPL/AFT laser treatments, also know as photorejuvenation or skin rejuvenation. Photorejuvenation treatments target numerous areas of concern such as brown spots, red vessels, fine lines, sun damage, broken veins, and rosacea. 

When you are exploring the options of facial treatments, make sure that you also explore the right type of cosmetic surgeon/dermatologist to perform your procedure. Clear communication with your practitioner is your best tool in getting the appropriate procedure that 's suited to the goals you're looking to achieve.

Good luck!


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The melisma can be dealt with in many ways. Medical grade skin care for few weeks, then chemical peels or laser resurfacing depending on your skin, after examination.

The rest of the face need in person examination and discussion as to what bothers you and what you want to achieve. What was done to the face previously?

Then all your options can be discussed.

This is your face and need to make the investment of a consultation and thorough discussion. It is not buying a dress on the internet that you can return if you do not like.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.