Is elta md 41 a good sunscreen for rosacea? Will thioctic acid cause damage?

I have been using elta md 41 for a while now and it protects against sunburn very well. However, it contains thioctic acid and I read here that thioctic acid (ALA) should be avoided for rosacea. I really appreciate all your time! I had great success with IPL and I just do not want everything to get worse because of chemicals in my sunscreen. Thank you.

Rosacea management is ALWAYS individualised.

Rosacea is very complex and a tailored treatment program give the best results. This is because there are many types of rosacea (telengtctatic or capillaries, flushing and redness, acne like rosacea, ocular rosacea and even rhinophyma rosacea.)

To add to the complexity, everyone has different flare factors- Sunlight, stress, foods, chemical irritants, creams, changes in temperature, alcohol. The list goes on. The best way forward is to undertake a test patch, say a 3 cm area on your cheek, if you tolerate it... great, if not, its an irritant for YOU. Not everyone with rosacea will have the same irritant list, nor the same flare up list. 

A detailed history, together with a treatment tailored according to YOUR type of rosacea will give the best results. As a guide, I use a combination of -

1. Lasers ( to treat redness, broken capillaries, rhinophyma, flushing)- best laser is the V BEAM. IPL can be used, but usually not as effective

2. Creams - anti inflammatory

3. Tablets -anti - inflammatory and sometimes low dose Vitamin A. 

4. For females- Mineral make up is recommend, over make up that contains parabens. 

For the best results, consult a dermatologist for both medical and laser treatment options. 

Kind regards.

Dr Davin S. Lim.

Laser Dermatologist.

Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist