Chin implant with jowl loss.

Thinking of a chin implant. I would like a very slight projection. More volume in the prejowl area. I have heard of the middtleman implant but not sure if it will add enough volume in the jowl area. Is there another option for chin implant but with more volume in the jowl area?

Candidate for a chin augmentation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Would like a very slight projection. More volume in the prejowl area.

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.   If you have "jowls",these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  A chin implant, even one with thick pre-jowl segments, will not reverse "jowling" like a proper SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed. My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. Hope this helps.these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed. Hope this helps.

Possible chin implant for pre jowl area

There are several styles and sizes of chin implants and some of these do provide augmentation to the pre jowl area.  The best way to determine the most appropriate implant to use is during an examination of the patient.  Your surgeon should be able to discuss the options with you at the time of your consultation.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

The chin, mandible, and the implants are all 3-dimensional structures, therefore a full set of facial photographs and an in-person examination is usually required to determine being candidate for a chin implant.  The size and the shape of the chin implant is performed at the time of the examination.  Chin implants are composed of Silastic, and  are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  For more information, diagrams of the implants, and many chin implant before and after results, please see the video and the link below