5 days post-op abdominal liposuction. Is this the start of an infection or is this normal? (Photo)

I know it's still pretty early on, however this morning I woke up with a decent amount of pain and redness around my incisions and it's gotten worse throughout the day. I've been wearing the compression garment 24/7, keeping incisions clean and changing band aids with antibiotic ointment daily. It seems this may be the start of an infection or is this normal?

Liposuction - pain and redness around sutures at day 5

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Please contact your own surgeon.
  • Worsening pain and redness always suggest an infection.
  • Or you may be allergic to the sutures or to the antibiotic ointment.
  • See your surgeon and let her/him treat you.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction concerns

This is something that need to be seen by your doctor to know for sure. Contact them to discuss this without delay. Minimal redness can be normal around the liposuction access sites. This is due to some mechanical trauma and resulting inflammation. It usually resolves within a few weeks. I don't advise my patients to apply antibiotic ointment to areas that have been closed with sutures. They can commonly cause rashes and skin irritations. 

Can't tell

Infections are very rare after lipo, let alone all the incision sites at the same time.  However, to be sure you need to see your plastic surgeon to get his/her opinion.  Looking at the photos it is impossible to tell if there is infection.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Early infection

The best advice I can give you is to call/visit your surgeon asap to discuss your concerns. Use of abx ointment can cause some irritation to the area along with bandages, but this can only be determined by your surgeon in person.

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz