3 days after Lipo of flanks, abdomen & lower back, strange sensation of skin sticking on my rib cage. Any suggestions?

I'm 3 days post op, so I know so early to tell anything, when I first took off garment to shower I could see my body looked great but noticed my side ribs were quite visible and the skin was sort of sinking into them. I took off garment again to shower tonight and have the strange sensation of my ribs feeling like the skin is stuck on them and as if I am having limited movement in that area because of this odd sensation. Is it normal?

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Liposuction

Yes, this sensation is perfectly normal and will improve with time. It is usually because the fat layer has been reduced between the ribs and the skin. If the sensation persists, please see your doctor.

Liposuction, strange sensation, depressed sinking skin

Thank you very much for the query. It is difficult to correctly determine the cause of what you have noticed without seeing you in person. However it is possible that the sudden loss of fat by significant liposuction in the rib area could have contributed to the ribs appearing more prominent and the intervening areas as depressed. The feeling of 'strange sensation of my ribs feeling like the skin is stuck on them and as if I am having limited movement in that area' is often due to the fact that liposuction causes a traumatic inflammatory reaction within the tissues that results in edema and makes the skin and subcutaneous tissues loose its suppleness with limited movement. Further the delicate cutaneous nerves may suffer some  trauma  causing strange sensations- the results of which are temporary and often improve in time.However you need to be reviewed by your surgeon to make sure we are not missing anything. Best wishes and speedy recovery!!!  Dr Alexander G

Alexander George, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and skin sensation

Thanks for your question.
It is very early in the postoperative stage so it is possible to see strange results showing that will dissappear as the weeks pass.  Skin sensations and wavyness, denting etc are very common in the immediate postoperative period.
Write down your concerns to present to your Plastic Surgeon at your first post op visit.
Best of luck.
Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Flank liposuction - skin feels stuck to ribs

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Without a photo, it's hard to tell what is going on.
  • And even harder, of course, because you just had your surgery.
  • The best idea is to see your plastic surgeon and have him check you..
  • It is possible to remove so much fat that skin sinks over bone but it would be very unusual.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS