10 mo. post primary rhinoplasty with septal strut and my tip is hard as a rock. Is this swelling or the graft? Minimal recoil

I was under the impression that septal grafts were much softer than this?

This is a question that's difficult to answer without knowing the exact details of your surgery.  If you had a caudal septal extension graft, the tip can remain firm after surgery.  It does provide excellent tip support.  It's best to discuss these concerns with your surgeon.  Best wishes.

Tip stiffness after rhinoplasty

Tip support is of extreme importance in rhinoplasty.  Tip support prevents unwanted changes to the tip after surgery--preventing tip droop, deviations, etc.  The trade-off of good tip support is the feeling of a stiffer tip.  Over time this sensation will improve as your body becomes accustomed to it.  

Stiff nasal tip after rhinoplasty

The nasal tip can feel somewhat stiffer and harder following rhinoplasty when septal (columellar) strut grafts or septal extension grafts are used.   Post surgical stiffness usually subsides over the course of the year.  The nose may always feel a bit stiffer because the goal of such cartilage grafts is to provide either a more projected nasal tip (sticks out more) or lengthen (de-rotate) a short nose.    I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose and graft

No, grafts can be quite firm, but you may also be swollen still.  It can take a year or longer for the swelling to subside.