Extreme back pain, no cartilage in my lower back. I weigh over 300lbs and I used to weigh 140lbs; what should I do? (Photos)

I no longer can take the pain I'm tired of the medicine medicine I tried therapy I've tried exercising which is very painful I don't know what else to do

Severe back pain and weighs 300 pounds - what to do?

Thank you for asking about your obesity and back pain.
  • I am sorry you are in this condition.
  • Please ask your regular doctor to refer you to a bariatric surgeon for gastric bypass surgery.
  • Unfortunately, there is no cosmetic procedure that will help you -
  • Bariatric surgery reduces absorption of the food you eat and is the medical treatment you need.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Am I A Liposuction Candidate?

Liposuction is a fine contouring cosmetic procedure and not used as a weight loss tool. I suggest consulting with a bariatric surgeon at this point to discuss weight loss and a treatment plan. Best, Dr. Emer

Overweight with Back Pain

At over twice your previous weight and significant back pain, you need to lose weight. You do need to exercise, but this is far less important than modifying your diet. This needs to be done gradually rather than "going on a diet." If you cannot do this on your own, then you need professional help and, perhaps, to see a bariatric surgeon. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

I weigh over 300lbs and I used to weigh 140lbs; what should I do?

There is no substitute for having a long term healthy lifestyle.  I recommend diet and exercise, then plastic surgery.  If diet and exercise isn't working then consider bariatric / weight loss surgery such as a sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass procedure.  Then you will still need to maintain a healthy lifestyle after that to keep you weight stable but it should be much easier.    

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Extreme back pain. What should I do?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  I think it would be best for you to inquire as to local bariatric surgeons to pursue a surgical weight loss solution to help improve your overall health.  Unfortunately aesthetic work will not correct your underlying medical problems.  

You need weight loss

Your body needs serious weight loss soon. If you can't get there with diet and exercise, please see a weight loss surgical specialist for an evaluation. Liposuction has no role for you.