I Need to Choose Between Two Sites, Which To Pick?

I see two cool sculpting deals, one for $500 and one for $900 ("not including gratuity" - are you supposed to tip doctors?). Both are "discount" but the cheaper doctor has bad reviews online while the other has better reviews, but I don't think she is a doctor, maybe a cosmetologist or something. Which should I choose?

Coolsculpting and applicator sites

Please when choosing the facility to get your treatment I would avoid a "discount" that seems "too good to be true".  You have to base your decision on the credentials of the physician and experience of that board certified dermatologist.  Most physicians now treat coolsculpting with a series of treatments or multiple applicators to mold the shape and get the best cosmetic result.  Combining diet and exercise with coolsculpting is the best way to get fabulous long-lasting results.

Visit a top provider with physician on staff

It is important to go to a top provider in order to receive the best possible assessment and results. I recommend going to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who oversees the practice. My practice is one of the top CoolSculpting Complete providers in the country , therefore we can provide patients with a buy one area and get a second free. As part of the CoolSculpting Complete package, vibrational plate therapy assists in lymphatic response. A garment is also provided in order to provide comfort and reduce swelling post procedure. Research is so important when making a decision to go to trusted reputable provider. You can also visit the CoolSculpting website to find one in your area.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Qualifying Expert Needed

Thank you for your question. Before choosing, verify their degrees by visiting the office, and asking for a copy of the license, and then verifying with the licensing agency or the city.  I further suggest you see a Board Certified Dermatologist or Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for this procedure as many times, this is not always the best options, but one to certainly consider. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Instead, You Probably Need More Quality Information

Rather than seeking the lowest cost procedure, you probably want the best results when you spend your money.

High quality Coolsculpting results depend on having a good assessment of your "bulges" and proper application of the various treatment heads (and frequently on staged or repeat treatments for the same area).  Scientific studies show most patients only have 20% reduction of the fat in each area treated.  Board certified physicians will often charge more than med spas, etc. 

I would suggest you visit in person with each doctor's practice, see their own results, evaluate their quality, and determine who would likely give you the best outcome.  And best wishes in accomplishing your goals.   

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Choosing an office for Coolsculpting

Choosing an office for Coolsculpting or any elective procedure can be confusing.  Here are a few things to consider:  the experience of the office with respect to the procedure--how many have they done, before & after photos, are patients pleased. Online reviews can be helpful.  Have a face to face consultation with the provider doing your procedure.  Are you comfortable with them and confident in their abilities? Did they answer any questions you may have? Don't base decisions solely on price.  Cheaper isn't better necessarily and just because the technology may be the same, experience does play a role as well.  Good luck.

Grant Stevens, MD

CoolSculpting by Zeltiq is a medical, not spa, procedure

You get what you pay for. We have learned over three years that reduction of fat with CoolScupting is related to the sculpting. Usually there need to be a number of applciators applied to suck in the fat and skin and freeze the fat away per area. One applicator per site is rarely done compared to the initial days of treatment with CoolSculpting.  The added number of applicators adds to the price. There is no doubt that the understanding of the anatomy is important and that is why in my NYC cosmetic dermatology practice, patients inerested in fat loss and weight loss, see me in consultation first. I examine them, evaluate their medical history and then determine if they are medical candidates for CoolSculpting fat reduction by Zeltiq. I draw on their skin what applicator sizes and shapes are needed and the quantity of applicators per treatment so the patient can be given the most educated price quote. Many patients benefit with up to three treatments. Improving the diet to lessen calories and increase the exercise regimen is stressed as CoolSculpting is not a replacement for exercise or diet.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Choosing a physician for CoolSculpting or any cosmetic treatment

There are all kinds of incentives offered to bring new patients in the door. Discounts are frequently implemented when multiple sessions / areas of treatment are involved. In most states CoolSculpting does not require that a physician perform the treatment - in which case you may be treated by a nurse, PA or even an esthetician / cosmetologist.

Reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt, but if all you see are negative and posted over a long period, then you may want to be a little more cautious.

The CoolSculpting site lists practices in your area and is a good place to start looking. Do your own selection based on some research and not solely on price.

Remember that CoolSculpting is not the right treatment for everyone. You should be of normal weight looking to slim down specific small areas of fat accumulation. It is not a weight reduction procedure and those with significant weight overages will not get good results.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD