Numbness in Arm and Hand? (photo)

I am a breast explant patient and the day after when I raised my hand above my head and felt tingely and numbness. This occurred in my non IV arm. Is this normal? I called my nurse immediately and she said that I had some nerve damage in my right breast. Is that common for explant patients and will I live with this the rest of my life? A little abot how my day went- I woke up early, prepped our yard sale, so I was very active. Could it have been anethesia wearing off?

Numbness in Arm and Hand?

Some temporary numbness may be the result of positioning during the surgery.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Numbness in arm after surgery

Some transient numbness can happen it could be related to positioning, the blood pressue cuff, the surgical procedure, or none of the above to name a few.  Best to speak with your surgeon.

Numbness in Arm and Hand after Breast Implant Removal

Most likely, this is temporary and will resolve. Make sure your plastic surgeon is aware of this and will follow it. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Numbness/Tingling after Breast Implant Removal?

As you can imagine, online consultants will not be able to provide you with precise diagnosis, advice, and/or reassurance. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource in this regard.

Having said that, it is most likely that the numbness/tingling that you experienced will be transient/temporary. These sensations are most likely related to inflammation around the nerves traversing to the upper extremity.  Given your activity level, a period of rest and/or the use of anti-inflammatories ( if approved by your surgeon) may be indicated.