What does it really mean to be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS) and or IPRAS?

I have found a great Dr. In Brazil but am trying to do some additional research on his qualifications, abilities. He has provided before and after pics. Is a member of ISAPS and a member of the International Confederation for Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (IPRAS). He also has excellent references. How can I check his credentials and complication rates for the procedure I am considering (full abdominoplasty)

Plastic surgery credentials

Hi and thanks for the question. Members of ISAPS generally have critieria to meet prior to consideration for membership. Hence, this group of surgeons is generally well qualified. Regarding the complication rate, discerning this is not going to be easy. In the US, it is possible to check to see how many times a surgeon has been sued for malpractice, but the actual rate of complication is fairly nebulous. 

Dr. Vallecillos 

Member of ISAPS

Greetings

Thank you for your question. Surgeon qualifications. ISAPS promotes global safety in aesthetic plastic surgery by ensuring that members are highly qualified. Patients can be confident that ISAPS members belong to their leading national societies of plastic surgery, have a record of being safe and ethical, and have been in active practice for at least 3 years.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon