Do I have tuberous breasts which could be corrected with surgery? (Photos)

My breasts have always been this shape since puberty although I have never been to see a doctor, I have looked online and presume I have tubular breasts? I have never had any children and it affects my relationships and I'm uncormforable taking my bra of in front of even my husband.

Do I have Tuberous Breasts???

Tuberous Breasts Newport Beach TUBEROUS BREAST DEFORMITY (TBD) Tuberous Breasts have been labeled with a variety of names and conditions. These include the following: Tubular Breasts, Constricted Breasts, Puffy Nipples, Snoopy Breasts, and Conical Breasts What is a Tuberous Breast? This breast condition is a developmental problem of the breast. It may be characterized by a variety of appearances generally seen at the time of puberty. There may be breast underdevelopment of the breast with little or no breast tissue. There may be deficiency of breast skin. The breast may appear narrow, tubular, long, conical or droopy. These contours have resulted in the use of unattractive names such as Tubular Breasts, or Snoopy Breasts. Frequently, the areola (nipple) is often herniated forward creating a ‘Puffy Nipple’, or dome shape to the areola. The areola may be excessively large. Another unkind urban term is ‘Bologna Breast’, so called because the woman’s areolas are so large, that they take up almost the entire surface area of the woman’s breast. The color of the areola may be colored the same shade as bologna. Often, the lower part or lower pole of the breast is deficient (see severity) adding to Breast Asymmetry. The breasts are often widely displaced. The condition may be on one side (unilateral) or both (bilateral) and is often uneven between the two sides.

Options for Treating Tuberous Breasts

It does appear that you have a tuberous breast deformity. Fortunately, you have several options for treating this condition. Based on your photos, I recommend a combined breast augmentation and breast lift, which will improve the size, shape, and position of your breasts, giving them a rounder, more pleasing appearance. It will also improve their "perkiness" so they sit higher on your chest. Please be sure to see a board-certified plastic surgeon near you who has extensive experience with treating your condition. Best of luck to you! 

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

#breastaugmentation #plasticsurgery #breastlift

Hello laurabrown, thank you for your excellent question. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My very best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts can get an improved shape with a lift and/or implants

It does appear that you may have tuberous breasts.  A breast lift can give you a more aesthetic shape to the breasts and implants can give you more volume if that is what you're looking for.  The surgery takes about 2-3 hours depending upon whether or not you want implants with minimal recovery time and discomfort.Thank you for your question!  Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Tuberous Breast Surgery

Yes, you do have Tuberous Breast Deformity.  You would benefit from a peri-areolar mastopexy with an implant.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Lift vs implants

Here is the long and short of it. If you want your breast fuller and are happy with the shape of them, then an implant will be fine. Keep in mind an implant will only "fill our breast up" it will not "lift them up". They will look just like they do now, they are just bigger and fuller with an implant only. If you feel this will meet your goals, then an augmentation should be fine. If you are unhappy with the position of your breast and feel they are too low, then an implant will likely not satisfy you and you will want to consider the lift. A lift will "lift them up" and put them in a higher position, change the size of the areola and "lift" them off of your chest. Often times both of these procedures are combined to achieve an optimal result. By lifting them and adding volume, the breast will not only sit higher on your chest but will also have the nice fullness from the implant. In your case a breast lift with augmentation is  going to give you the best result.

Tuberous breasts

You do have breast deformity consistent with tubular breast deformity. Widened nipple areolar complex, narrowed breast with a ring of attenuation at the base of the breast tissue. You have some breast asymmetry and it looks like your right breast may be larger than the left.This is correctable with surgery. Surgery would include reducing and elevating the nipple areolar complex, and broadening the breast tissue on your chestwall. This may or may not be performed with an implant.I wish you luck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. From your photos, you do appear to have characteristics of Tuberous Breasts. Constricted or tubular breasts tend to be too narrow with a breast crease that is too high. Tight ring-like bands of tissue around the areolae and nipples may create the appearance of protruding or puffy areolae. A higher than normal breast crease may make your nipples appear to be too low or down pointing. Constricted breast features can be very mild or severe. In fact, mild variations are relatively common. To summarize, the features can include:
  •          Inframammary fold (breast crease) too high
  •          Inframammary fold misshapen
  •          Breasts too narrow (disproportionately narrow base width)
  •          Insufficient breast skin
  •          Constricted or tubular shape, resulting from tight bands of tissue within breasts
  •          Protruding or bulging appearance of areolae (pigmented area around nipples)
Improvement is possible and generally includes a breast augmentation, sometimes combined with a lift (mastopexy). The lift is usually limited to an incision around the areolae. During the procedure, I release the tight, constricting bands from the inside, allowing the skin to expand properly. I also lower the inframammary fold to a more ideal position and improve its shape. Breast implants help create the right amount of volume and improve breast contours, resulting in a more rounded or tear drop shape. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck!Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Tuberous breasts

From the photographs you included, I do believe you do have tuberous breasts. Should you want to be larger, than a small implant can be added to a circular mastopexy to both lift the breast as well as enlarge it. The circular mastopexy will make the areola smaller and change the shape from long and narrow to that of round and flatter. Hope that is helpful. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Do I have tuberous breasts?

Thank you for your question and for the photos. The short answer is yes. Tuberous breasts have a high fold,, droop, and a dilated areola. That is what I am seeing in your photos. Looking over the many responses here plastic surgeons seem to differ in their recommendations about how to address it and many are suggesting an implant. I believe from what I see that you have good volume, so only add an implant if you really want to be bigger. What draws my eye is the shape of the breast. A full mastopexy in my opinion will give the best change in shape. While full mastopexy  leaves the most scars, it tightens the breast in two directions and is more predictable in reducing the size of the areola. Periareolar lifts generally do not change the shape as well and are prone to the areola or the scar widening.  The patient in the link below has tuberous breasts. She is a good candidate for an implant now, after lift, if she wishes , but she did not wish to be larger. You have good starting volume so with lift you may not even wish to consider an implant.
I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon