I had surgery for GYNECOMASTIA and I'm unhappy with the right side. Will I be able to get this sorted in a revision? (photo)

I was pretty lean when I had the gyno surgery. I gained 10 pounds or so in the year after. The left side remains fantastic but I have a fatty build up under my right nipple that I can't make peace with at all, I'm very conscious of it, after dealing with man-boobs for the previous 15 years of my life and having thought it was gone. I don't want to have to keep my bodyfat towards single digits for the rest of my life, so I'd like to know if this could be dealt with in a revision.

Revision Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi peterjones1,
Thanks for the post and photos. I agree with my colleagues that you would need an in person exam to determine the best course of action. That being said, revision surgery can address the issue. It is likely not fatty tissue accumulation as I would imagine that this would occur on both sides with weight gain. The main question is if the right side looked like the left side right after surgery and then gradually became puffy. If so then it may be scar tissue but if the right side never looked as good as the left side, then it may be residual excess glandular tissue.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Chest issue

I think that you need to be seen in person. It is important to perform an adequate exam and determine what if anything can help.

Gynecomastia

You need in person consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to evaluate the problem and methods of treatment.

Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.  Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Revision?

Thank you for your question and photos.  You really need to be seen in person by your operating surgeon to determine what, if anything, can be done to improve the appearance of your chest.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Revision

Thank you for the question and the photos and the simple answer is YES a revision will correct the problem but an examination is needed.  So see your surgeon or other expert in the area.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD