I had an arm lift two weeks ago, and the incisions are healing nicely. Am I OK to stop wearing the garment now?

However my compression support bandage sits under my armpits cutting into the incision there. It is incredibly uncomfortable and at times painful, especially in this heat at the moment. Am I OK to stop wearing the garment now?

This question is best answered by your surgeon as each has her own opinion on length of time compression is needed based on the details of your particular surgery.  Compression should not be uncomfortable and should not cut into the incision.  I would speak with your surgeon on that point to see if the garment is no longer fitting correctly.

I had an arm lift 2 weeks ago, and the incisions are healing nicely. Am I okay to stop wearing the garment now

Each surgeon has his or her own recommendations regarding postoperative recovery. It is very important to follow your surgeon's directions so that you can enjoy the best outcome. In my opinion wearing the compression garment for 6 weeks has definite benefits. Many patients use the sleeves that athletes wear to keep their arms warm. Normally these are very comfortable and provide compression from the wrist up to the shoulder. They can be purchased in most sporting good stores. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift

Thank you for your question.  This question should be addressed directly with your operating surgeon as each has his or her own opinion on the matter.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

When to stop the compression garment

Thank you for asking about your arm lift.

• I am sorry your compression bandage is such a problem -
  • I tried one on years ago - and never used one again.
  • Ask your surgeon if you can stop using it or if you can substitute an ace wrap.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

• Hello, and thank you for your question. I would recommend that you follow up with her plastic surgeon to discuss this. Depending upon how our patients are healing we may consider stopping the garments, however in many instances we continue it for an additional 2 weeks. It is best to discuss this with her treating physician. Best of luck with your continue recovery.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Wraps after arm lift?

Hello Alison. Congratulations on your arm lift! I would suggest you talk to your plastic surgeon about your postoperative garments. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD