Deep nasolabial fold on the right side. What's the best treatment?

I have had filler for my nasalobial fold but it didn't sort the problem, the fold is just as noticeable and plus it looks like my cheek got a bit like a lump due to the filler.. Could you advise my any treatments/clinics?

Doctor Answers 11

Nasolabial Fold Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The best solutions for nasiolabial folds are typically a dermal filler and perhaps a non-surgical skin tightening treatment. It is best to speak with your board-certified dermatologist to determine the best treatment for you. 

Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon
3.9 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

How to treat deep nasolabial folds

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Wrinkle lines or folds are really just the first obvious visible signs of a slow progressive change taking place in all structures of the face. Usually I will not inject fillers directly into the nasolabial folds, but rather into multiple areas of the face to treat the volume loss that leads to their appearance. Deeper fillers such as Radiesse or Sculptra are often injected much higher along the cheekbone to restore lost volume at "vector points" that provide the greatest lift. This leads to the subtle and natural-looking results that are so often desired.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Fillers in the nasolabial fold

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This question is difficult to answer without an evaluation.  This type of problem may be addressed with filler in the nasolabial fold or cheek.  In an evaluation, the injector can manipulate the area in different positions to see which type of treatment would be the best for your face type.

Michele Burgess, MD, FAAD
Chicago Dermatologist

You might also like...

Deep Nasolabial Folds

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In general, a very common problem but at times difficult to treat.  An experienced injector that can evaluate your entire face not just the fold is in order. A lot of times a layered injection is all one needs, sometimes additional surrounding injections are also needed.  In severe cases, direct excision of the fold is indicated.  Best of luck!!

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Filler and nasolabial fold

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think that you need to be seen in person to be properly evaluated. Photos could be helpful too. Good luck.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Nasolabial fold crease

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
We could give you better recommendation if we had a full face photo to assess your concerns and evaluate potential causes that are exacerbating the fold on the right side. Fillers are usually best option to restore volume lost.

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Deep Nasolabial Folds

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I suggest posting a photo, as there are many options for treating this.  Technique is a very big determinant of the final result and you need to find someone who does more of 3D facial volumization and contouring rather than filling lines.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Nasolabial fold

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A photo would be helpful. Injection technique is very important in this area. Radiesse should have filled the area nicely. If you have just had treatment, the swelling would need to go down before an assessment could be made. Another issue is the amount of filler used in the area.

Deep Nasolabial fold

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your nasolabial fold is likely deeper due to volume loss of your upper face. This upper cheek volume loss leads to sagging of the cheek which creates a deep nasolabial fold. Most of the time, just filling the fold only does not address the problem and is ineffective. In fact, many inexperienced injectors use so much filler in the fold that patients will get the "bumps" you have mentioned. I would advise addressing the volume loss of your upper face with filler which will likely improve your nasolabial folds. Please consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for treatment. Best wishes.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Deep nasolabial fold on one side -- no better after filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think this is a potential problem with trying to fill a nasolabial furrow: depending upon how deep and heavy it is, filler may not help if injected directly into the furrow.

You might do better with volume replacement at the cheeks, temples, even in front of the ears. Many advanced injectors have moved away from injecting the furrows and instead place filler where volume has been lost, which drapes the skin more naturally and gives a much more pleasing result. This indirectly imoroves the nasolabial furrow by pulling the skin up.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD
New York Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.