21 yrs old, lost a large amt of weight leaving loose skin. What procedure is best for me, a mini tummy tuck or full? (photo)

I just had my first and only child. the pictures show my stomach at present. What would be the best precedure for me? I'm going to see a private clinic tomorrow to see what they think but I am very nervous about it.

Tummy tuck is the best option right now to address loose skin and fat after pregnancy and weight loss

One thing that you didn't mention to us was how long it has been since your delivery and weight loss.  This is only significant because if we are planning any kind of body contouring procedure, such as a tummy tuck, we always want the tissues to be in a stable state.  We want maximum contraction of stretched post-delivery skin, fat, and muscle wall, and we want stability of fat tissues and weight after weight loss.  If it has been too soon, we may be operating on tissues that are still in a "state of flux," and this reduces our chance for accuracy and good surgical planning.  Having said that, and assuming that you are far enough out from your pregnancy and weight loss to be stable, I can see from your images that you have laxity of your skin, fat, and muscle wall which extends above the level of your umbilicus, or belly button.  Thus, you would not make a good candidate for a mini-tummy tuck, and you would be best served by a full, or standard, abdominoplasty.  The good news is that you have an excellent waistline contour still, and you are young, so that even in the face of what may seem like horrible stretching of your skin, you likely still have pretty good overall tone in your tissues, and that will help you get an excellent result from a properly planned and performed tummy tuck.  Be sure that you meet with consultant surgeons who are appropriately certified and experienced in plastic surgery, and especially body contouring after pregnancy and weight loss.  That will be the best way for you to boost your chances for a good experience and an overall satisfying result.  Best of luck.

Tummy tuck after one child?

Your photos suggest that you have skin laxity, an excess of adipose tissue and probably some abdominal muscle laxity. These features are routinely addressed with a traditional/full tummy tuck. The big question is whether this is appropriate timing for a tummy tuck-- are you planning to have more children. If so, it would be prudent to wait until you are finished having children before embarking on body contouring surgery. Plan to consult a Board Certified plastic surgeon once you make a decision on when you want to proceed with surgery.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be performed to improve the contour of your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Tummy tuck

It looks like you would benefit from a full tummy tuck with liposuction.  You doctor should go over your optiond with you so that you can make an informed decision.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

What procedure is best for me, a mini tummy tuck or full?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your successful weight loss!  Based on your pregnancy and weight loss history, photographs, and stated goals, you will do best with a full tummy tuck operation.  Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results.   When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

Tummy Tuck after Weight Loss

When patients have experienced extreme weight loss due to diet and exercise, #gastricbypass surgery, or #stomachstapling  or #lapband surgery, there will be excess body skin that needs removal. In order to correct this problem many patients will need a #TummyTuck surgery, #panniculectomy, or #abdominoplasty.   This is becoming a highly requested procedure among patients who wish to rid themselves of excess skin and tighten muscle in their abdominal area. This procedure can be beneficial for women with loose skin and stretch marks following pregnancy, and patients who have undergone significant weight loss.

There is potential for either procedure, and it would be best to take all of your questions to local board certified plastic surgeons for consultations to see which procedure will help gain the best results for what you desire.