Should I get a breast reduction?

I am currently 19 years old and a 32G. I am physically fit. It is very frustrating for me to go clothes shopping because I can't wear cute tops because of how they fit me in the bust. I have been debating about a breast reduction since I was about 14 and my mom even brought the procedure up to me recently. I always feel I look fat in my clothes since I always have to buy a bigger size to accommodate my bust. Should I get the procedure done? I have been hesitant since you can't breastfeed after.

Breast Reduction

The decision to undergo a breast reduction can be based on a number of factors. Many people have symptoms related to the large size of their breasts such as back/neck pain, deep shoulder grooves from bra straps and issues with moisture/rashes under the breasts.  Large breasts can make it difficult to exercise and to find clothing/bras that well. Breast reduction patients are often some of our happiest patients because of the vast improvement that the surgery has on both symptoms and physical appearance. Breast feeding is still possible after breast reduction. 

Breast reduction in a young patient concerned about breastfeeding

A breast reduction can be a life-changing operation for many women. If you have G cup breasts, and are not obese, a breast reduction can be a wonderful operation for you, particularly if you also have back pain and other issues related to your large breasts. In general, the symptoms caused by excessively large and heavy breasts - back, neck, and shoulder strain, headaches, rashes underneath your breasts, groove marks on your shoulders from your bra straps, and a reduced ability to exercise - do not go away with the passage of time, and as a matter of fact only get worse. I would make an appointment with a plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns, and he/she can inform you of the benefits and the risks of undergoing this procedure. I would also like to add that it is a myth that breastfeeding is inevitably compromised by a breast reduction procedure. This depends on the procedure performed, and I would recommend you discuss the technique utilized with your surgeon. Our literature certainly demonstrates that it is possible to breastfeed with the proper technique. One thing that is not controversial, however, is the fact that some of the happiest patients in plastic surgery are breast reduction patients. Good luck!

Robert Galiano, MD

Breast reduction

If you are unhappy with the size of your breasts, then you shoudl consider seeing a plastic surgeon to review your options. Best of luck.

Should I get a breast reduction?

Thank you for your question and your a definitely a candidate for this procedure. This procedure will greatly improve your life but timing is very important for you.  You are 19 and you may still grow but by 20-22 years of age most of your growth has occurred. You are right about nursing and if that is important to you I would wait until you have children.  Even after children you breasts will change regardless if you nursed or not.  The time to get the surgery is when it is best for you.  I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon who can counsel you on what can be done.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a breast reduction?

Most patients will tell you the benefits of breast reduction are truly life changing. But it is true that breast feeding is usually compromised. So if breast feeding is of primary importance it would be best to put the surgery off until you have had your family. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Should I get a breast reduction?

Breast reduction has very many benefits, improved comfort, better ability to exercise, broader selection with clothing, better self image, all the things you are mentioning. Yet you are correct in that for most breast feeding will be limited after reduction. You will still have firmness in the breast as a first sign of pregnancy, and engorgement, and some breast milk, and you might breast feed and supplement as there might not be enough of you alone. There is not a right or wrong choice, but potential trade-offs so consider carefully.

#breastreduction #age18-24

If you are modifying your lifestyle due to large breasts, then I think you should consider having a breast reduction. While the surgery is not done solely for  the purpose of looking better in your clothes, certainly smaller breasts can improve activity concerns, rashes, headaches, back, neck and shoulder pain. .

Breastfeeding can be done after a breast reduction. Discuss the technique to be used by your plastic surgeon. Your ability to breast feed is extremely dependent on the technique used..

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a breast reduction?

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing secondary to breast hypertrophy; based on your description you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point.  “Official” recommendations of course would necessitate in-person consultation.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin this operation reduces AND lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall (in other words, the breasts are "automatically" lifted when a breast reduction is performed). By doing so, patients often find improvement no problem man distill your daddy loves it in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

As you think about breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with the procedure. Unsatisfactory scarring is one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

When the time is right, seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.

The majority of patients who undergo breast reduction surgery ( unless they have had free nipple grafting) will be able to breast-feed. Discuss this goal with your plastic surgeon; utilizing certain breast reduction techniques the chances of breast-feeding can be potentially increased.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.